Forest Whitaker Gets Apology From NY Deli

Started by garbon, February 19, 2013, 04:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 04:58:49 PM
Quote from: Caliga on February 19, 2013, 04:49:36 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 04:47:13 PM
I think I'd raise hell with anybody that didn't recognize I was Forest Whitaker.  For Christ's sake, the brother's one of the most recognizable people in Hollywood, what with that lazy eye and all.  But that's New York sometimes.
OTOH, if you didn't immediately recognize him, you might think he looked like a crazy homeless guy since... he looks like Forest Whitaker. :ph34r:

Well, it is New York.  Sorta reminds me of that short-lived Michael Moore show years ago, where they did a segment that had a well dressed Yaphet Kotto trying to hail a cab in New York, and all the foreign-born cabbies passing him by to pick up a white guy that did time in four different prisons a hundred feet past him.  Even with signs he was holding that said "Yaphet Kotto" and then "Yaphet Kotto, Famous Actor", they'd still pass him to pick up the white convict instead.

I remember that bit. 'Twas funny. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Phillip V on February 19, 2013, 04:50:02 PM
Inside the deli:

Not exactly "Mort's Deli & Corned Beef, Est. 1947" on East Houston, now is it?  Looks like a place you'd see a celebrity picking up something to knosh.

Eddie Teach

What would a cabbie want to do with a two-bit island dictator like Kananga?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 19, 2013, 05:03:36 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2013, 05:00:53 PM
Why were you watching a Michael Moore show? :yeahright:

They were hilarious.  Short run unfortunately.  He then went on to make the docucomedies you love to hate.  I think  Roger and Me was the only one he had made before the TV show.

Oh yeah, TV Nation was an absolute trip.  However, that sort of scathing social commentary didn't translate well on broadcast TV.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 05:04:54 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on February 19, 2013, 04:50:02 PM
Inside the deli:

Not exactly "Mort's Deli & Corned Beef, Est. 1947" on East Houston, now is it?  Looks like a place you'd see a celebrity picking up something to knosh.

For the most part East Houston is pretty okay. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2013, 05:13:39 PM
For the most part East Houston is pretty okay. :)

My point wass, it looks a bit swankier and upscale than your traditional lower east side neighborhood family-run deli.  But I haven't been to the lower east side for a while.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 05:19:48 PM
My point wass, it looks a bit swankier and upscale than your traditional lower east side neighborhood family-run deli.  But I haven't been to the lower east side for a while.

Did you miss the whole Alphabet City gentrfication thing?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2013, 05:21:53 PM

I heard there are no Irishmen in Hell's Kitchen anymore, and all the Jews in Brighton Beach have been displaced by filthy Cossacks.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 04:58:49 PM
Well, it is New York.  Sorta reminds me of that short-lived Michael Moore show years ago, where they did a segment that had a well dressed Yaphet Kotto trying to hail a cab in New York, and all the foreign-born cabbies passing him by to pick up a white guy that did time in four different prisons a hundred feet past him.  Even with signs he was holding that said "Yaphet Kotto" and then "Yaphet Kotto, Famous Actor", they'd still pass him to pick up the white convict instead.

Maybe they just don't like Jews? 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 05:24:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 19, 2013, 05:21:53 PM

I heard there are no Irishmen in Hell's Kitchen anymore, and all the Jews in Brighton Beach have been displaced by filthy Cossacks.
:mad: Those are filthy Jewish Cossacks. :contract:

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 19, 2013, 04:51:20 PM
Man I would take one look, see it was Idi Amin, and let him take whatever he wanted.

I'd re-think that position.

Don't you know what Idi Amin wanted on occasion for a snack?  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Whitaker reminds me of William Shatner with that start/stop delivery of his.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller