"Is Part of the United States in the Third World?"

Started by Fireblade, May 20, 2009, 09:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Faeelin

Quote from: Valmy on May 20, 2009, 10:29:38 PM
QuoteTexas - .914

Hah!  In your FACE Kuwait!

I just want to point out that New Jersey is your God.

DisturbedPervert

Parts of it maybe.  Detroit looks like something out of post colonial Africa.

Alatriste

Quote from: Legbiter on May 20, 2009, 10:53:29 PM
Quote from: Fireblade on May 20, 2009, 09:38:39 PM
Survey says: YES!

To illustrate the point, I am now going to make a long list. These are the 76 top countries ranked by human development index score, with the 50 states interposed to show their relative level of development, based on the two tables linked above:

1. Iceland - .968

The Icelandic currency has dropped by 60%, the banking system has all but collapsed, we remain in the vise of the British Anti-Terrorism Act, yours truly is quietly studying the feasibility of relocating the family business to Norway (rather than say, remain as Gordon Browns indentured servant) and we're tying with Norway in some UN poll?

Eh, give it till 2010, we'll rank lower than Portugal.

With 2006 data... Besides, the HDI measures includes things like life expectancy, literacy, education, and per capita GDP that a petty recession doesn't change.

I'm not surprised at all by the results (and I don't understand why comparing California with France, for example, makes no sense) after all, America is a continent, and European results do show more or less the same pattern from Iceland and Norway to Bosnia and Macedonia. And I'm convinced splitting European countries in regions would show more or less the same results too.

The title, besides, is misleading. The list only oncludes 76 countries, those with highest HDI. Hardly the 'Third World'...

Martinus

Poland has a worse score than Hungary because Poland is a huge country with a population 4-5 times bigger than that of Hungary. As a result we have some poor areas that drag us down. If we compared big cities, I bet Warsaw would score higher than Budapest. :P

The Brain

In Swedish "Staten Island" means "the state of Iceland". Makes you thimk.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2009, 02:44:14 AM

Indeed it does.  :huh:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Norgy

Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2009, 02:44:14 AM

I thimk it's the swame in Norbewgion.

Viking

Isstaten, not Island. Had it been Land Island or Country Island then you would have had a point.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Norgy

The Brain

Quote from: Viking on May 21, 2009, 04:16:53 AM
Isstaten, not Island. Had it been Land Island or Country Island then you would have had a point.

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Alatriste on May 21, 2009, 01:40:29 AM
I'm not surprised at all by the results (and I don't understand why comparing California with France, for example, makes no sense) after all, America is a continent, and European results do show more or less the same pattern from Iceland and Norway to Bosnia and Macedonia. And I'm convinced splitting European countries in regions would show more or less the same results too.
This is true.  There are third world parts of the UK, certainly.  I mean there are parts of Glasgow with a lower male life expectancy than Gaza, Russia or North Korea.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2009, 07:01:48 AM
:yawn:

Merely by being an American, we stand astride the world like a colossus. We are the gods among men.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

:yes: I'm sure in Roman times the Galatians made lists such as this:

CIVILIZED TRIBES OF THE MVNDVS

I. GALATI
II. PAPHALAGONII
III. LAZICI
IV. GALLI
V. GRAECI
VI. BRITANII
V. HIBERNII
VI. AEGYPTII