News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

4 arrested in plot to bomb NYC targets

Started by jimmy olsen, May 20, 2009, 09:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Hard to get excited over these arrests when the cops say there was little chance they could have carried out their plan. :mellow:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30856404/
QuoteNBC: 4 arrested in plot to bomb NYC targets
Suspects were under heavy surveillance, authorities say

BREAKING NEWS
NBC News
updated 28 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Four men have been arrested in a plot to attack several targets in the New York City area, including synagogues, federal and local authorities told NBC News Wednesday.

Authorities said the four men have long been under investigation and there was little danger they could actually have carried out their plan, NBC's Pete Williams reported.

Investigators say the four, described as Black Muslims from the Bronx, had planned to place bombs at various targets. But New York city police and federal agents got wind of the plot and kept the men under careful surveillance.

In fact, officials say, the men recently bought what they thought were explosives, which they put in storage lockers outside the city. But what the men did not know is that the material they bought was actually harmless, sold to them by informants posing as explosives dealers.

Officials emphasize that the men never had actual bombs and could not have pulled off any attack.

Two years ago, two Muslims pleaded guilty to plotting to attack synagogues in Los Angeles. But officials said that they knew of no connection between those arrests and this latest plot in New York.

This breaking news story will be updated.
© 2009 msnbc.com  Reprints
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

I suppose black means Afro-American convert rather than, say, Somali or something?

African-American respect/love for Islam is one of my all consuming hatreds, the anti-Byzantium or anti-Russia.   :mad:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

MadImmortalMan

Officials emphasize that the men never had actual bombs and could not have pulled off any attack.

Well, I hope they got the chance to waterboard them anyway.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on May 20, 2009, 09:22:20 PM
African-American respect/love for Islam is one of my all consuming hatreds, the anti-Byzantium or anti-Russia.   :mad:

Maybe it was The Nation. :wub:

In which, I'm not sure your hatred makes sense.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2009, 10:40:34 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 20, 2009, 09:22:20 PM
African-American respect/love for Islam is one of my all consuming hatreds, the anti-Byzantium or anti-Russia.   :mad:

Maybe it was The Nation. :wub:

In which, I'm not sure your hatred makes sense.
I grew up living two blocks away from Brother Minister Farrakhan.  Occasionally his followers would have a meeting and take up all the parking lots for blocks and blocks.   <_<
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on May 20, 2009, 10:53:31 PM
I grew up living two blocks away from Brother Minister Farrakhan.  Occasionally his followers would have a meeting and take up all the parking lots for blocks and blocks.   <_<

Omg I just hate that I can't park my car!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

It just goes to show, George Bush continues to keep us safe.  Even when he's not President.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2009, 11:03:32 PM
It just goes to show, George Bush continues to keep us safe.  Even when he's not President.

You're welcome  :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on May 20, 2009, 10:58:37 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 20, 2009, 10:53:31 PM
I grew up living two blocks away from Brother Minister Farrakhan.  Occasionally his followers would have a meeting and take up all the parking lots for blocks and blocks.   <_<

Omg I just hate that I can't park my car!
:rolleyes:

They rape history.  The Arab slave trade in sub-Saharan African peoples predates and postdates the European slave trade, not to mention the utter destruction of the great Nubian kingdom and continuing racial conflicts in Sudan and throughout the area, or continued, brutal discrimination throughout the entire Arab world. 

There is an ignorant assumption that Arabs are somehow less racist than white people, or that there is some special connection between Arab and Black culture.  Throughout my Grade School* and High School I had to sit through Black Muslim lectures on "white" or Christian-White opression and it pissed me off to no end, mostly because as a white guy I had no cred in debating that the Arab slave trade was awful and racism is a bigger factor in the Arab World today than in the West. 

BUT OF COURSE I'M REALLY JUST ANGRY ABOUT PARKING SPACES!  GO AHEAD AND FLAME ME!

*Yeah, I was weird in Grade School.

katmai

Now spellus not giving yourself enough credit, you are still a fricking nutball.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 20, 2009, 10:00:11 PM
Well, I hope they got the chance to waterboard them anyway.

We only waterboard real Muslims.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2009, 09:19:31 PM
Hard to get excited over these arrests when the cops say there was little chance they could have carried out their plan. :mellow:
Seems there was little chance of success because the Feds had gotten wind of things, were watching, and even sold them the fake explosives. Else, maybe they could have gotten far enough to make attacks. In any event, good job by law enforcement and which ever Federal and State agencies were involved.

Caliga

Interestingly, the articles I've read about this mention local police and FBI involvement, but no Department of Homeland Security involvement.  What exactly do those yahoos do?  :huh: