News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spring 2013 Has Arrived.

Started by mongers, February 16, 2013, 02:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

It's a nice mild sunny day, the grass has begun growing in the water meadows opposite, it's official I'm calling this as the start of Spring 2013, at least as far as Central Southern England is concerned.   :bowler:

So now that the seasons are changing, what are you plans for the Spring and Summer of this nice fresh new year ?

Me, unlike much of last year, due to weather and other commitments, I'm gonna endeavour to spend much more time outside.
Therefore less time indoor on computers of one sort or another. :gasp:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

I'll drive my car more once it actually gets nice.

I also just did a flurry of "spring" cleaning. I think my apt looks even nicer than it did when I moved in.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 16, 2013, 04:14:41 PM
I'll drive my car more once it actually gets nice.

I also just did a flurry of "spring" cleaning. I think my apt looks even nicer than it did when I moved in.

It's weird, I also just started to do some of that, planning on giving the garden a sort out beginning tomorrow. 

dps

Ironically, it's snowing here for the first time in 2 years.

Eddie Teach

It's been spring all winter here. Yet I've still managed to get cold/flu twice.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Add a new item to my list: unplug the defunct satellite dish from its attic outlet and patch the hole in the roof/siding.  Reason?  I had a new roof put on over the summer and the roofers asked me what to do about the dish, and I told them to 'take it down'.  Well, they did that, but they just left it sitting on the ground next to the garage, still plugged in... so now there's a cable running from the ground up to the attic, or, put another way, a VARMINT SUPERHIGHWAY INTO MY HOUSE.

Over the weekend Princesca and I started hearing little noises at night in the rooms adjacent to our bedroom, and on Saturday night I went in search of the source.  I walked by the guest bathroom and heard a rustling noise coming from the shower curtain, and shined a flashlight on it.  Staring right back at me was a cute little deer mouse that was busily climbing up the curtain. :mad:

Anyway, he's dead now, but I'm sure more will follow until I demolish the varmint superhighway.  Thanks a lot, Mexican roofers. :rolleyes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

There's 6 feet of snow in my front yard & 30cm more espected this week. Spring?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 18, 2013, 06:33:33 PM
There's 6 feet of snow in my front yard & 30cm more espected this week. Spring?

Canada.

PDH

Spring doesn't come to 7200 feet for months.  Of course, I am in Big Sur right now where it is all green and lovely, so there.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Spring has been cancelled until further notice.

The government emergency COBRA committee has meet and the suggestion is we eventually skip right to the Autumn; the government cannot also afford a seasons deficit.  :bowler:

Richard Hakluyt

Wore a wooly hat for the first time in 10 years yesterday.

It was about 2C, but there was wet snow and the wind seemed to be coming from all points of the compass simultaneously  :(

katmai

It is snowing, so i hate you all.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

PJL

Well the groundhog's getting the blame for the cold spring:

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21901544

QuotePunxsutawney Phil 'indicted' in Ohio over spring prediction

Authorities in the US state of Ohio have issued an "indictment" against Punxsutawney Phil, the groundhog famed for predicting spring's arrival, after he got it wrong this year.

The groundhog forecast an early spring when he did not see his shadow as he emerged from hibernation on 2 February.

But tongue-in-cheek prosecutors in Ohio's Butler County accuse the rodent of deliberately misleading the public.

They say such a felony should be punished by death.

"Punxsutawney Phil did purposely, and with prior calculation and design, cause the people to believe that spring would come early," wrote Mike Gmoser, Butler County prosecutor, in an official-looking paper.
'Very harsh'

He added the wrong prediction amounted to a felony "against the peace and dignity of the state of Ohio".

But Bill Deeley, president of the club that organises Groundhog Day, said Phil has a lawyer and would fight attempted extradition by the Ohio authorities.

He added the death penalty would be a "very harsh" punishment for the much-loved rodent.

"We'll have to plead our case one way or the other, but I think we can beat the rap," Mr Deeley said.

There has been much chatter on social media about Phil's incorrect prediction that spring would come early.

Temperatures in the region remain low, with a storm due on Sunday that could bring several inches of snow with it.

Each year thousands of people visit the tiny western Pennsylvania town of Punxsutawney, depicted in the 1993 comedy Groundhog Day, to witness Phil's prognostication.

garbon

Could we hurry up and indict the National Weather Service?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.