News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL offseason thread

Started by katmai, February 15, 2013, 06:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Ran into one of the Bengals' Rookie UDFAs today at Chipotle.  He ordered 3 burritos (with extra guac).  NFL defensive tackles need their calories :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on August 29, 2013, 02:13:19 PM
Ran into one of the Bengals' Rookie UDFAs today at Chipotle.  He ordered 3 burritos (with extra guac).  NFL defensive tackles need their calories :D
Are you doing the video thing this year?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on August 29, 2013, 02:23:37 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 29, 2013, 02:13:19 PM
Are you doing the video thing this year?

Yeah.  My brother's seats got moved to the 40 yard line in the club area, which tempted me to retire again to enjoy the game.  But he had some turnover, so I'm staying on at least for this year to watch over the new guys.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Ravens at Rams.  Precisely what you'd expect in a game started by Caleb Hainey and Kellen Clemons.  5 minutes in, I think there's 3 turnovers already.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

He lasted three years.  That's a decent career for a guy like that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

Quote from: Neil on August 31, 2013, 12:11:20 PM
He lasted three years.  That's a decent career for a guy like that.

Someone with no ability to read defenses, make quick decisions and throw the ball accurately?  Yeah, 3 years isn't bad.

dps

It's 3 more years than anybody here had, unless there's somebody not telling us something, like maybe grumbler played 5 years with Jimmy Conzelman.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on August 31, 2013, 12:27:28 PM
like maybe grumbler played 5 years with Jimmy Conzelman.

grumbler was actually recruited to be the 5th Horseman To Be Named Later by Rockne, but went with Michigan and the rest is history.

CountDeMoney

Meh, regardless of his NFL career, Tim Tebow is already ensconced as one of the greatest college quarterbacks ever after Bernie Joseph Kosar Jr.

Admiral Yi

College players who don't make it at the next level aren't remembered outside their home states.  Tebow will be remembered for his love of Jesus, not for his play.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 31, 2013, 12:38:41 PM
Meh, regardless of his NFL career, Tim Tebow is already ensconced as one of the greatest college quarterbacks ever after Bernie Joseph Kosar Jr.
John Elway, Doug Flutie and some guy named Wuerffel want a word.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 31, 2013, 04:19:09 PM
College players who don't make it at the next level aren't remembered outside their home states.  Tebow will be remembered for his love of Jesus, not for his play.
See:  Young, Vince or Leinart, Matt.

Syt

Latest U.N. Report Shows Raider Nation At Bottom Of Human Development Index Rankings

QuoteNEW YORK—According to a new report published Friday by the United Nations Development Programme, Raider Nation has for the fifth straight year held the lowest position in the Human Development Index rankings.

Taking into account such factors as health, education, and poverty, the report stated that the Human Development Index value of Raider Nation is 0.302, far below the global average and indeed at the very bottom of the 187 territories surveyed by the international organization.

"The empirical evidence is definitive in demonstrating what are, unfortunately, very obvious and disturbing issues in this isolated portion of the world," said UNDP administrator Helen Clark. "As the HDI statistics show, the average adult in Raider Nation has a drastically low number of years of formal education, an incredibly meager income, and a very short life expectancy. And these numbers are only getting worse each year."

"Frankly, the conditions in Raider Nation are nothing short of disgusting and abhorrent," Clark continued. "This is not a crisis that will simply resolve itself. The situation requires millions, perhaps even billions of dollars in humanitarian aid so these people can receive the help they so desperately need."

Clark told reporters that Raider Nation lags hopelessly behind in virtually every major statistical category measured by the Human Development Index, adding that the population is deprived access to even the most basic human needs such as adequate clothing, shelter, food, and sanitation facilities.

"If you compare Raider Nation to a modern first-world metropolis like Denver or San Francisco, for instance, the difference is night and day," said Clark. "U.N. workers have attempted to provide much-needed assistance to the area, but unfortunately the inhabitants of Raider Nation are incredibly hostile and belligerent toward outsiders."

"To truly solve the litany of social and economic problems plaguing Raider Nation, the first step is improving their education, which is worse than the likes of Mali, Sierra Leone, and Nigeria," Clark added. "The 12 percent literacy rate among Raider Nation adults is simply unacceptable."

According to experts, since its founding in 1960, Raider Nation has experienced a notably tumultuous history. Apart from a brief period in the 1970s and early 1980s, the entire population has reportedly been subjected to decades of hardship, and thousands have witnessed horrific atrocities firsthand on a near-weekly basis.

Additionally, sources confirmed that a significant portion of Raider Nation was displaced amid mass upheavals in 1982 and 1995, leaving millions as helpless refugees.

"This is a place where assault is commonplace, where even the most basic rules of civilized society do not apply," said Clark, noting that the shockingly high mortality rates in Raider Nation are of especially grave concern. "Many view them as a boorish and barbaric people, and though they have some customs that may seem bizarre to the outside world, the fact remains that they are suffering in total squalor and are incredibly frustrated with their situation. These people just can't continue with such a dreadfully substandard quality of life."

"But tragically, the rest of the world has essentially completely ignored them since 2002," Clark added. "It's as though they don't even matter in the slightest."

Clark told reporters that although Raider Nation's HDI value has shown some small signs of improvement over the last decade, the population is still rife with skyrocketing rates of unemployment. The area is also reportedly ravaged by gang warfare and high crime rates, as well as unbridled drug and alcohol abuse.

Clark particularly stressed the dire need of humanitarian aid for those in the most downtrodden region of Raider Nation, dubbed by many as "The Black Hole" for its rampant violence and appalling levels of overcrowding.

"Many see The Black Hole as a lost cause, but we cannot give up on them," Clark said. "While they may be the most economically and educationally disadvantaged in Raider Nation, they're still human beings."

"Just look at them," added Clark, showing reporters photographs of those who occupy The Black Hole. "It's so sad."

Reached for comment, leaders of Raider Nation released a statement to reporters reading, "RAIDERS 4 LIFE SUPER BOWL THIS YEAR FUKIN WATCH OUT!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive