Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-NJ won't run for re-election in '14. Cory Booker to run

Started by jimmy olsen, February 15, 2013, 01:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I don't know much about Booker's politics, but at least he's not boring.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/14/16964641-nj-sen-lautenberg-wont-seek-re-election-easing-bookers-path?lite
QuoteBy Michael O'Brien, Political Reporter, NBC News

Updated 3:40 p.m. ET: New Jersey Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D, won't seek re-election next November, a Democratic source confirmed to NBC News.

Lautenberg, the 89-year-old senator who served for almost two decades in the Senate from 1982 through 2001 before returning for a second term in the upper chamber in 2003, will not seek another six-year term.

"I will be traveling to my hometown of Paterson tomorrow to announce that I will not seek re-election in 2014.  This is not the end of anything, but rather the beginning of a two-year mission to pass new gun safety laws, protect children from toxic chemicals, and create more opportunities for working families in New Jersey," Lautenberg said in a statement. "While I may not be seeking re-election, there is plenty of work to do before the end of this term and I'm going to keep fighting as hard as ever for the people of New Jersey in the U.S. Senate."

The decision clears the path for Newark Mayor Cory Booker to pursue the Democratic nomination for Senate. Booker, who's built a high national profile with his work as mayor, had provoked some public sniping from Lautenberg for seeming too quick to assume that the longtime senator would necessarily retire when his term is up in 2015.

Another Democrat thought to be eyeing the seat, Rep. Frank Pallone, effusively praised Lauternberg in a statement.

"I have peen proud to serve with Senator Lautenberg and even prouder to call him a friend," he said. "I look forward to continuing to work together in the coming months to continue to address the issues that are important to him and New Jersey.  Like all New Jerseyans, I am grateful for his service to our state and our nation."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

I would like a 6 term limit for representatives and a 3 term limit for senators, giving them at best a 30 year congressional career.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Phillip V on February 15, 2013, 01:46:57 AM
Let's have term limits for Senators.
Yes, because the new ones that have been elected are the cream of the crop.

Caliga

Cory Booker sounds like a little kid's name.  I can't take anybody seriously as a US Senate candidate with a name that sounds so childish.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Phillip V

Quote from: DGuller on February 15, 2013, 09:52:08 AM
Let's only have them for 12 years at the most.

Admiral Yi

He's a handsome black man, and very well spoken.

I like him, but a lot of the credit for his accomplishments as mayor have to go to the corporations that generously donated money.

DGuller

Quote from: Phillip V on February 15, 2013, 10:29:50 AM
So we then have a new wave of idiots?  The crusty old politicians are the ones who are most likely to resist turning a political opposition into an insurgency aiming to obliterate the government.  That's also why a lot of them have been purged by the Republicans.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2013, 10:32:42 AM
He's a handsome black man, and very well spoken.

I like him, but a lot of the credit for his accomplishments as mayor have to go to the corporations that generously donated money.

He's a likable guy, for sure.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Hansmeister

Quote from: Phillip V on February 15, 2013, 10:29:50 AM

Repeal the 17th Amendment.  Cory Booker is quite an impressive figure, he is considered somewhat of an action hero for saving someone from a burning house last year.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 15, 2013, 11:06:59 AM
Repeal the 17th Amendment.  Cory Booker is quite an impressive figure, he is considered somewhat of an action hero for saving someone from a burning house last year.

And the freezing dog last month.  That locks up the Crazy Cat Lady demo.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Sad to say it, but the Senate seems like a waste of his talent.

EDIT: my initial reaction was suprise at realizing Lautenberg was still alive.  They named a rail station after him in Secaucus recently and I just assumed he must have died.  Can't think of anything he's done in the last 5 years.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Dude, it's Jersey.  The request to name it after him was probably submitted in 1988.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 15, 2013, 02:39:03 PM
Sad to say it, but the Senate seems like a waste of his talent.

EDIT: my initial reaction was suprise at realizing Lautenberg was still alive.  They named a rail station after him in Secaucus recently and I just assumed he must have died.  Can't think of anything he's done in the last 5 years.
It wasn't that recent.  I remember seeing it as far back as 2006.