News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

HVC--I demand you explain accounting

Started by Ideologue, February 14, 2013, 12:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Per Malthus' suggestion, I require you to explain what getting your accounting degree involves, particularly the math requirements and whether someone whose greatest mathematical accomplishment is comprehending that .9 repeating equals 1 is likely to succeed.  Also, please describe to what degree, if any, a legal background may assist in understanding accounting principles and/or working as an accountant, both in terms of acquiring and performing on a job.

I ask out of curiosity about the field.  I have no concrete plans.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I should have titled the thread--"HVC--how do you account for yourself?"  Oh well.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Now make a thread asking Guller how what he does differs from accounting.  :menace:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2013, 12:17:59 PM
I should have titled the thread--"HVC--how do you account for yourself?"  Oh well.

If it makes you feel any better I read it as 'explain your accounting' as if you were accusing him cooking the books.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2013, 12:25:31 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2013, 12:16:40 PM
.9 repeating equals 1

Not true.

There's a difference of .0 repeating... ?

Anyway, just cast it as an integer and there you go.

fhdz

I am neither HVC nor an accountant, but I've managed accountants.

I'd say a legal background might be helpful, especially if you go into auditing. It certainly will be useful when you start reading tax codes.

The math for accounting is not difficult - it's in fact all arithmetic, unless you're doing analysis too, which may involve either statistics or calculus, depending on what you're looking for. The thing that can make accounting difficult is dealing with multiple revenue streams across several accounts; it can get tricky.
and the horse you rode in on

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2013, 12:25:31 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2013, 12:16:40 PM
.9 repeating equals 1

Not true.

Is true.

Proof:

x = .9 repeating
x(10) = 9.9 repeating
x(10) - x = 9.9 repeating - .9 repeating
x(10) - x = 9
9x = 9
x = 1
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 14, 2013, 12:24:17 PM
Now make a thread asking Guller how what he does differs from accounting.  :menace:

What is his actual job?  Adjutant?  Adjuster?  Advertising?
Kinemalogue

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2013, 12:31:17 PM

He is an actuary, which is totally different than an accountant.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: fahdiz on February 14, 2013, 12:29:13 PM
I am neither HVC nor an accountant, but I've managed accountants.

I'd say a legal background might be helpful, especially if you go into auditing. It certainly will be useful when you start reading tax codes.

The math for accounting is not difficult - it's in fact all arithmetic, unless you're doing analysis too, which may involve either statistics or calculus, depending on what you're looking for. The thing that can make accounting difficult is dealing with multiple revenue streams across several accounts; it can get tricky.

My understanding is that the math they make you learn for the degree is harder than what you'd be likely to actually use in practice.  This is similar (again, to what I've heard) about other fields.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Advertising? Perhaps like Dick Whitman, he's not who he says he is...  :hmm:

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on February 14, 2013, 12:33:02 PM

He is an actuary, which is totally different than an accountant.
I know. :P I was teasing him.

Though it is true I have no idea what an actuary actually does, but I assume it is somehow related to using statistics and mathematical modeling to arrive at business-happy conclusions, as in actuarial tables.  But could be way off.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Kinemalogue