HVC--I demand you explain accounting

Started by Ideologue, February 14, 2013, 12:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on February 15, 2013, 08:42:59 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2013, 08:41:54 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 15, 2013, 08:40:57 PM
Accountants should clearly document their shit.  :wacko:
you're the alchamists of the finacial feild.

Also, screw you Ide :P
You're thinking of investment bankers.  We, or at least our pension brethren, just assume that fixed income investments would yield 8.5% return in perpetuity.
ya, like the return is realistic :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

alfred russel

Yeah, but then on the flip side they discount liabilities, some of which won't be paid for 60+ years, at 4%.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: mongers on February 15, 2013, 06:44:51 PM
IDE just emigrate and then tell the US 'authorities' where to stick it.  :bowler:

Ide's main problem is finding a job in the legal field, not sure how moving to a country with a significantly different legal system than the one his education was supposed to prepare him for would help.

mongers

Quote from: dps on February 15, 2013, 10:32:44 PM
IDE just emigrate and then tell the US 'authorities' where to stick it.  :bowler:

Ide's main problem is finding a job in the legal field, not sure how moving to a country with a significantly different legal system than the one his education was supposed to prepare him for would help.

I'm sugesting he get out of lawyering as well as getting out of dodge.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: mongers on February 15, 2013, 10:50:47 PM
Quote from: dps on February 15, 2013, 10:32:44 PM

I'm sugesting he get out of lawyering as well as getting out of dodge.  :)

Well, effectively, he is out of lawyering, what with not being able to find a job in the field.  The thing is, he wants a job in the field.  Your advice is akin to telling a guy who can't get laid to consider a celibate lifestyle--it's already the lifestyle he has, and he don't wan't it.

ulmont

Quote from: dps on February 15, 2013, 11:10:17 PM
Well, effectively, he is out of lawyering, what with not being able to find a job in the field.  The thing is, he wants a job in the field.  Your advice is akin to telling a guy who can't get laid to consider a celibate lifestyle--it's already the lifestyle he has, and he don't wan't it.

Actually, I'm surprised he has the job he has without being a member of a state bar.  Congrats, Ide!

Ideologue

Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2013, 08:41:54 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 15, 2013, 08:40:57 PM
Accountants should clearly document their shit.  :wacko:
you're the alchemists of the financial field.

Also, screw you Ide :P

I read what you said, and I appreciated you taking the time to write it. :)  Sorry, I got distracted with some other stuff.

The math requirement is interesting.  (As is, in the opposite direction, Excel competency.  I'm not very good with Excel. :(  But it's just a piece of software, and hence should be easily learned... then again, I never figured out vector programs. : / )
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: ulmont on February 15, 2013, 11:24:53 PM
Quote from: dps on February 15, 2013, 11:10:17 PM

Actually, I'm surprised he has the job he has without being a member of a state bar.  Congrats, Ide!

:)

Indeed, I'm actually paid about 10% more than most of the people who've worked there.  (And even though I'm paid less than what someone in a major market would be comfortable imagining, by PPP I probably make more than your average NYC doc reviewer.  This is in part why NYC and other major market doc review is dying--domestic competition.  Not just here, but I've also heard of a giant facility in the hills of West Virginia.)  Like the Indian shops before us, we are fluent in English (sometimes equally so!) and cheap.

I have wondered if I'm billed the same as the licensed attorneys.  I guess that's probably kosher.  Nothing requires the firm to bill me differently, just like a law license is not required to do document review (which is why foreigners in actual foreign countries can do it).  FLSA applicability is a different story, and coworkers who got staffed through a competing agency are limited to 40 hours a week if unlicensed, whereas I could work 70 if I feel like it (and no, I have NOT ever felt like it).  There's colorable arguments either way on that, and it's a possible revenue stream if I ever wanted to burn my bridge and piss on the ashes. :P

Anyway, the fact that they were sucking the market here dry surely helped in getting me the position--I was deferred for a month, until they realized they needed like 100 more people than they actually had.

Future access to doc review is the number one reason I'm taking the bar exam in a couple of weeks (well, ten days :( ).  It's a preposterous world--I need to take an exam that has nothing to do with the job I'm seeking, to prove I can do the job I've been doing for a year. :rolleyes:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

ulmont

Quote from: Ideologue on February 15, 2013, 11:58:31 PM
Indeed, I'm actually paid about 10% more than most of the people who've worked there.  (And even though I'm paid less than what someone in a major market would be comfortable imagining, by PPP I probably make more than your average NYC doc reviewer.  This is in part why NYC and other major market doc review is dying--domestic competition.  Not just here, but I've also heard of a giant facility in the hills of West Virginia.)  Like the Indian shops before us, we are fluent in English (sometimes equally so!) and cheap.

I am aware of certain clients - let's call them "repeat players" - who have centralized all first level document review with certain (lower cost) firms.  All the outside counsel hired for any particular case can do is QC.  Good luck for the outside counsel figuring out what the fuck is going on with the case or prepping for depositions or similar.

Future access to doc review is the number one reason I'm taking the bar exam in a couple of weeks (well, ten days :( ).  It's a preposterous world--I need to take an exam that has nothing to do with the job I'm seeking, to prove I can do the job I've been doing for a year. :rolleyes:

Eh.  At least you have a closed shop union willing to protect you to a certain extent.

DGuller

It's a preposterous world--I need to take an exam that has nothing to do with the job I'm seeking, to prove I can do the job I've been doing for a year. :rolleyes:
:( :yes: I know how that feels.

dps

Quote from: DGuller on February 16, 2013, 01:58:19 AM
It's a preposterous world--I need to take an exam that has nothing to do with the job I'm seeking, to prove I can do the job I've been doing for a year. :rolleyes:
:( :yes: I know how that feels.

Yeah, I've never really had to do anything like that, but it's certainly not limited to the legal field.

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on February 15, 2013, 11:32:17 PM
The math requirement is interesting.  (As is, in the opposite direction, Excel competency.  I'm not very good with Excel. :(  But it's just a piece of software, and hence should be easily learned... then again, I never figured out vector programs. : / )

You can become very competent in Excel without a lot of effort. That's the secret of Excel - it scares the shit out of people, but it's really not all that bad to learn, and once you start doing even rudimentary data analysis and charts in Excel a lot of folks treat you like you're some sort of oracle.
and the horse you rode in on

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on February 16, 2013, 04:38:29 PM

You can become very competent in Excel without a lot of effort. That's the secret of Excel - it scares the shit out of people, but it's really not all that bad to learn, and once you start doing even rudimentary data analysis and charts in Excel a lot of folks treat you like you're some sort of oracle.

This is very true. I remember I was a Lotus 123 'guru' in its early days, computer data/numbery stuff impresses people.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

DGuller

Quote from: fahdiz on February 16, 2013, 04:38:29 PM

Excel is like Texas Holdem.  It takes a day to learn, it takes a lifetime to master.  I'm still learning new things, after 8 years of using it extensively at work.