News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

HVC--I demand you explain accounting

Started by Ideologue, February 14, 2013, 12:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2013, 10:39:30 AM
Hillary's life is filled with hilarity.  :)

Personally, I think an insurance actuarial life would be more jolly.

Nothing causes more yuks than working out the odds of all around you being injured or killed.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2013, 10:01:30 AM
Besides, they keep trying to merge CA's and CGA's so who knows, one day I may be a CA. As mentioned previously there are some legal requirements to becoming a designated accountant so you should probably look into that.
The merger is complete in Quebec, I thought we were the last, but for once, we are 1st :)
http://cpacanada.ca/
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2013, 10:27:02 AM
To get a designation here depends on what type you get (CA, CGA, CMA), not too familiar with the others so I'll focus on CGA.
it's really the same process, except the classes at universities may change.  CA &CGA gets more auditing classes than the CMA.  CA gets more fiscality classes than CGA.  CMA gets more management-accounting classes.

Basically, the way it works in Canada is that CGA is the most popular title in government offices.
CA is the most popular title for auditing.
CMA is the most popular title for work in manufacturing corporations.

Neither is exclusive.  Except maybe auditing where it depends on provincial legislation.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on February 15, 2013, 10:54:18 AM
They got the best of finance: exciting carreer, huge pay.
Also, nobody blames them when they fuck up, and there's no movement to kill actuaries, they always blame the finance guys.
So yeah, it's a dream job, really. :P

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2013, 10:39:30 AM
Hillary's life is filled with hilarity.  :)
That's part of it... the other part is that my default relaxed expression comes across as saying "if you talk to me i may or may not punch you in the face" :D. Not exactly what makes ladies swoon (well, maybe the ones with really bad daddy issues). So i compensate with smiling a lot.

Viper: Ya, they've been trying to merge for years. Not sure how that will work because as far as i know, at least in Ontario, CMA's take no audit courses at all. But then again i guess audit is something you learn on the job.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on February 15, 2013, 11:17:24 AM
Also, nobody blames them when they fuck up, and there's no movement to kill actuaries, they always blame the finance guys.

:wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2013, 01:14:31 PM

:wacko:
must mean something different in french :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2013, 02:06:18 PM
I took income taxation, if that's what you mean. 

I meant "Accounting for Lawyers" or somesuch.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

"Don't steal from your trust account" X 100? :P

No, I didn't take that.  Not totally sure USC offered it, but they certainly may have.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

IDE just emigrate and then tell the US 'authorities' where to stick it.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on February 14, 2013, 02:12:28 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 14, 2013, 02:11:33 PM
Income taxation really has little to do with financial accounting.

I bet it has something to do with tax compliance and planning. :P

Yeah, but you seem to be at zero when it comes to basic accounting. Unless things have changed in the past few years, your 101 and 102 college classes will be in financial accounting and management accounting. The basic tax classes for aspiring accountants are going to build off of those: so you probably have a good bit of advanced knowledge that would be an advantage down the road in a subset of the field, but not at the start.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

A major liability for many companies is the pension liability, which must be determined by actuaries. Typically the actuary is sent the company's employee demographic and compensation data, does a bunch of analysis, and sends the company the results. Our auditors were reviewing the process as best they can, which meant testing that the data the actuaries were sent was accurate (without hiring a second actuary, there isn't a way to test the actual calculation).

So the auditor didn't want to test every piece of data we sent, because we sent a lot of information, so he got the actuary on the phone to explain which data was actually critical to the calculation. And when he did, the auditor realized that the actuary didn't understand the information he was sent. To make a long story short, a field heading had a cryptic explanation and the actuary assumed it didn't include certain types of compensation when it did. Rather than asking a question of what something meant, the actuary just guessed, and produced a small novel of analysis that was thus worthless. Had the auditor not caught the error, our liability would have been overstated by over a hundred million dollars.

Actuaries.  :wacko:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Accountants should clearly document their shit.  :wacko:

HVC

Quote from: DGuller on February 15, 2013, 08:40:57 PM
you're the alchemists of the financial field.

Also, screw you Ide :P

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2013, 08:41:54 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 15, 2013, 08:40:57 PM
you're the alchamists of the finacial feild.

Also, screw you Ide :P
You're thinking of investment bankers.  We, or at least our pension brethren, just assume that fixed income investments would yield 8.5% return in perpetuity.