The Empire Strikes Out - Inside the Battle of Hoth

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 13, 2013, 08:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: Neil on February 14, 2013, 08:35:28 PM
This thread makes me want to play TIE Fighter again.

The best post in the thread by far.

I can't find my old CDs.  :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on February 14, 2013, 04:19:32 PM
But once you get there, why should anyone listen to you?  You don't have an especially large or powerful fleet, and you're only achievement is being a coward. 

Worked just fine for MacArthur. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 15, 2013, 06:00:58 PM
But once you get there, why should anyone listen to you?  You don't have an especially large or powerful fleet, and you're only achievement is being a coward. 

He never got to be President.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Neil on February 15, 2013, 06:08:36 PM

DeGaulle then.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 15, 2013, 06:14:02 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 15, 2013, 06:08:36 PM

DeGaulle then.
DeGaulle ran so he could fight.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

The last bit really hit home to me.  The clone troopers acted like a military, while the stormtroopers were almost comically bad.  Thinking of Hoth, remember those gunners scrambling to set up an E-WEB in the Falcon's hangar?  According to the semi-canon Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology, that monster could take up to ten minutes to fully deploy and charge- I always got the idea that it was the Imperial equivalent of resting a targeted assassination on a squad's SAW gunner.

Especially given Anakin's backstory, Vader was always more hype than actual skill.  He was capable enough for intimidation tactics, but finesse and discipline weren't exactly his strong point.  He was more of a barking dog that Palpatine let off the chain when he wanted to send a message.

ETA: Time for me to dust off my copy of TIE Fighter.  That game was and still is so incredibly awesome.
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 14, 2013, 07:28:23 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2013, 04:49:23 PM
So much intellectualizing.  :lol:

This shit is important, man.

Star Trek rewards intellectual debate.  Babylon 5 rewards intellectual debate.  But Star Wars?  There's nothing intellectual there.  It is just a fourth-rate space opera concept carried out without any concern for continuity or logic or overall plot.  Debating Vader's tactics at Hoth is no more "intellectual" than debating Dorothy's tactics against the flying monkeys.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on February 16, 2013, 04:03:57 PM
Star Trek rewards intellectual debate.  Babylon 5 rewards intellectual debate.  But Star Wars?  There's nothing intellectual there.  It is just a fourth-rate space opera concept carried out without any concern for continuity or logic or overall plot.  Debating Vader's tactics at Hoth is no more "intellectual" than debating Dorothy's tactics against the flying monkeys.

Then start a Star Trek thread, and we can discuss exactly how Chambers' coil emissions could in no way possibly overload comms systems.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Viking

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 16, 2013, 06:56:27 PM
I shit out more compelling arguments every day.

In that case I demand you perform like the (badly) trained monkey you are and fling some compelling arguments about who is better Sinclair or Sheridan.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger