Main Menu

EU and US free-trade talks launched

Started by Zanza, February 13, 2013, 12:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2013, 09:03:15 PM
Quote from: Viking on February 20, 2013, 08:12:34 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 20, 2013, 08:09:30 PM
Wouldn't we have to dissolve our constitution first?

Wait, does the EU even want 50 new members?   :lol:

50? You sure Mississippi, Arkansas and Alabama meet the criteria for the Stability and Growth Pact?

They probably beat most European countries.  For instance Arkansas beats France in GDP per capita.  Britain is around there as well.

You don't seem to know what the Stability and Growth Pact is.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on February 20, 2013, 08:16:22 PM
not to mention the 600 ish reliably democratic electoral votes the new "states" would have.

Highly doubtful the Democratic Party would survive the merge intact.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

The democrats would be fine, they would be the new right. It would be between the Dems and the Socs.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2013, 10:01:56 PM
The democrats would be fine, they would be the new right. It would be between the Dems and the Socs.

Dems shedding their "progressive" wing and unions while adding some Republicans is not surviving *intact*. :contract:

I don't think the repercussions of such a radical change as merging the US and Europe can be predicted very confidently, but the one thing's sure is that the new party alignments will not resemble the current ones.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Iormlund

Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2013, 09:03:15 PM
They probably beat most European countries.  For instance Arkansas beats France in GDP per capita.  Britain is around there as well.

Remember though that there are no transfers within the EU except for farm subsidies and limited development funds. No EU military bases, or Medicare, or unemployment, and so on.

Sheilbh

What would be the benefit of including agriculture in the deal?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2013, 07:40:47 AM
What would be the benefit of including agriculture in the deal?

Seriously?  :huh:

Much cheaper prices for EU consumers, more profit for US farmers.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2013, 01:13:08 PM
Seriously?  :huh:
Seriously. The laws of both markets would stay the same. I can't see how it would have any significant impact.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2013, 01:24:35 PM
Seriously. The laws of both markets would stay the same. I can't see how it would have any significant impact.

You've lost me.  EU ag tarrifs are on the order of 30-40% (highest in the world IINM).  Reducing these would lower prices for consumers.

Sheilbh

First of all that's not true, they're around 18% on average (compared to, I think around 2-3% between US-EU on other goods).

Secondly in areas where US farmers could benefit there's already lower tariffs and the US farmers don't meet EU regulatory standards. They haven't found it worthwhile and I don't imagine that without tariffs it would make enough of a difference for them either.

Even if we got rid of tariffs we wouldn't allow hormone meat, or GM crops, or loosen other standards. I doubt that it would be worthwhile for most US producers to aim for export to the EU even without tariffs and EU producers would still not be able to compete in the US on price.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

What about USDA prime horsemeat though?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on February 24, 2013, 01:44:48 PM
What about USDA prime horsemeat though?
:lol:

At least we could stop blaming the poor Romanians.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2013, 01:26:15 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 24, 2013, 01:24:35 PM

You've lost me.  EU ag tarrifs are on the order of 30-40% (highest in the world IINM).  Reducing these would lower prices for consumers.
:lol: You expect market force where there are none. Higher competition of low priced agricultural goods would more likely than not have the consequence of even higher subsidies for the EU farmers.