And we're back!

Main Menu

Russia in Trouble this Year?

Started by Jacob, February 12, 2013, 04:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Viking on February 15, 2013, 11:53:51 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 14, 2013, 06:22:14 PM
I'm saying that at the time the Russian fleet was considered to be equivalent or better than the Japanese one.  The superior number of battleships was considered very important.

The Japanese only had 8 armoured cruisers at Tsushima, with the remainder being either protected cruisers or older, unarmoured cruisers.

The Russians would have had a higher throw weight, but that would have been unimportant given the crossing of the T and the fact that secondary, quick-firing guns firing high-explosive shells were probably more important than the main batteries.  The Japanese had learned the usefulness of smashing upworks and sweeping ships with fire during the Sino-Japanese War, where the Chinese had a pair of cruisers who armoured so as to be essentially unsinkable to Japanese naval gunfire.

Part of decisiveness is psychological effect, and the unexpected and annihilating Japanese victory certainly had an effect.
So you are not saying that the Japanese destroyed a superior fleet, but rather a fleet which was perceived to be superior by the racists of the day? (y'know the same schmucks who thought the Brewster Buffalo was good enough to take on Zeros because the Japanese pilots were all near sighted)
Why bring race into it?  Ship-for-ship, the Russians matched up well, but the Japanese crews were battle-tested veterans who had refined their tactics in the war against China, whereas the Russian crews were poor quality and had no combat experience whatsoever.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zanza

Admiral Yi

One of the Jap advantages is that their ships of each class all had the same speed.  The Russians on the other hand had to slow down to match the slowest ship in the fleet.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on February 15, 2013, 01:51:37 PM
Quote from: Viking on February 15, 2013, 11:53:51 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 14, 2013, 06:22:14 PM
I'm saying that at the time the Russian fleet was considered to be equivalent or better than the Japanese one.  The superior number of battleships was considered very important.

The Japanese only had 8 armoured cruisers at Tsushima, with the remainder being either protected cruisers or older, unarmoured cruisers.

The Russians would have had a higher throw weight, but that would have been unimportant given the crossing of the T and the fact that secondary, quick-firing guns firing high-explosive shells were probably more important than the main batteries.  The Japanese had learned the usefulness of smashing upworks and sweeping ships with fire during the Sino-Japanese War, where the Chinese had a pair of cruisers who armoured so as to be essentially unsinkable to Japanese naval gunfire.

Part of decisiveness is psychological effect, and the unexpected and annihilating Japanese victory certainly had an effect.
So you are not saying that the Japanese destroyed a superior fleet, but rather a fleet which was perceived to be superior by the racists of the day? (y'know the same schmucks who thought the Brewster Buffalo was good enough to take on Zeros because the Japanese pilots were all near sighted)
Why bring race into it?  Ship-for-ship, the Russians matched up well, but the Japanese crews were battle-tested veterans who had refined their tactics in the war against China, whereas the Russian crews were poor quality and had no combat experience whatsoever.

Because the argument you seem to be making is that the effect/significance of the battle was due to the percieved inferiority of the japanese.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on February 15, 2013, 02:14:21 PM
Because the argument you seem to be making is that the effect/significance of the battle was due to the percieved inferiority of the japanese.
That's not necessarily a race thing though.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk