News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Papabile: Papal predictions thread

Started by Martinus, February 12, 2013, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2013, 10:25:19 AM
When I went to the Louvre there was huge line of Japanese tourists waiting to pose next to the Mona Lisa, right beneath the sign that said "Do not take photographs of the paintings."

Oh when I was there it was flanked by two guards so you couldn't get close even if the crowd hadn't been there.  Not that I wanted to though - was much more impressed by The Raft of the Medusa in the hall outside.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Crap. The more I read about this new Pope, the more I like him.  <_<

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on March 15, 2013, 10:23:07 AM
I have a huge issue with people taking a picture of Mona Lisa - there are thousands of pictures of Mona Lisa available online (i.e. at the finger tips of anyone with a smart phone) with a much much better quality that anything you are able to take at the Louvre.

I never was a big fan of taking pictures of yourself/your friends near a famous monument, but at least there I can see the point as it gives you some sort of boasting rights.

When you take a picture of a famous painting or landmark (but not featuring yourself/your friends) then, unless you are some huge artistic photography buff who will make this picture really stunning, any single fucking postcard will give you a better picture of the object in question, so trying to take a picture of it is idiotic.

Not to mention, in my opinion, focusing on taking a picture rather than seeing it with your own eyes really takes away from the experience.

I sorta support this rant - I hate "obligatory photography", in that it tends to substitute recording an experience for having an experience - but if you have any pretentions at artistry, photography (or better yet from my POV, sketching) is a good way to force yourself to really observe, rather than simply look at, what you are examining.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Caliga

Most people watching wouldn't know it was wrong anyway.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on March 15, 2013, 10:47:18 AM
Crap. The more I read about this new Pope, the more I like him.  <_<

Well, fuck you.  You've already shit all over this thread.  No takebacks, pillownibbler.

Caliga

It's starting to seem like Benedict was a "cleansing the palate" kind of Pope.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2013, 11:34:16 AM

:x :x :x

That is all.

Caliga

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2013, 11:39:01 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2013, 11:34:16 AM

:x :x :x

That is all.

Like you don't keep a bottle of Scope in your handbag.

garbon