And we're back!

Main Menu

Papabile: Papal predictions thread

Started by Martinus, February 12, 2013, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on March 14, 2013, 02:19:48 PM
Mind you, the same critique can be aimed at the Church.  :P

Aren't you missing temple right now or something?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 14, 2013, 02:51:29 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 14, 2013, 02:19:48 PM
Mind you, the same critique can be aimed at the Church.  :P

Aren't you missing temple right now or something?

For the Temple, have to add "BCE" to that critique.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

fhdz

Quote from: Syt on March 14, 2013, 08:47:41 AM
I'm pretty sure, though, Francis won't look near as good as JP2 in a batting cage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MZ0BbN3m7bU

BRING OUT...THE PAPAL BATTING GLOVES
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Martinus on March 14, 2013, 09:16:44 AM
"Straight" is hardly gay slang. The expression you are looking for is "breeder cunt slave".

Mmmmm...delicious cunt. :mmm:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on March 14, 2013, 08:30:06 AM
Ok I gotta say, I'm conflicted about him.

Cons: the unclear connections to the junta (and even if he did not cooperate, did he oppose it enough or is it another case of Pius and the nazis?); sadly no change in sexual ethics

Pros: a Jesuit, inspired by St. Francis, a stranger to Roman Curia's intrigues, humble, sensitive to the plight of the poor
You like him and you don't want to say it. The cons are either unclear or unavoidable. Everything else you like about him :P

QuoteLast night, I was reading somewhere (sadly, I forget where, else I would have linked it) that he was actually the runner-up to Ratzinger at the last conclave, and may well have won that one except he made an emotional plea begging the other cardinals to stop voting for him.  What's weird is that, if this is true, his name barely came up at all as a papabili this time around.
John Allen (one of the best Vatican reporters) did include him in his papabile of the day feature. The reason he didn't come up was that Benedict had just retired because of his age. Everyone assumed that that modern precedent of retiring for old age would mean the Cardinals wouldn't elect an old man who might do the same shortly, and wouldn't be afraid to elect a young man because it wouldn't necessarily lead to another 30 year Pontificate.

As it turns out, everyone was wrong :lol:

QuoteSigh. Why can't the Popes and conservatives grow up and be pro gay eventually. I would probably be a conservative and a Catholic if they were as a lot of my views would probably coincide with moderate conservatism - I just can't abide supporting something that hates my guts.
I don't understand this. I know you've a mystical/spiritual streak. But seriously? If the Church changed their views on the gays I would happily and joyously rediscover my belief in the Resurrection, the Immaculate Conception, the Sacraments? :lol:

If the Church changed their views chances are they'd end up like the Church of England: a well-meaning centre left think-tank, with empty pews.

QuoteActually, the leaks from the Conclave suggest everybody but the Curia voted for him. The anti-Curia Italian party, headed by Scola, seems to have switched votes in line with the ROTW party.
The reports I've read said that the Curial Italian party switched votes to Bergoglio to stop Scola (for those typical Italian reasons).

QuoteIf there is he is hiding in secret.  Relations between the PRC and the Vatican are not great.
There's rumours of at least one Cardinal in pectore from China - in addition to the Hong Kong one.

He did well again today. Went to the icon of Mary protectress of Rome and waved at the school kids next door. He didn't want the Mercedes limo so just took one of the fleet cars. Then he went back to his hotel to pick up his things and pay his bill.

Two other interesting hints. When there's sede vacante all the senior Curia lose their jobs. It's pro forma that the next pope reappoints them normally the day he's elected until he finds his own staff. So far Francis hasn't reappointed anyone to the Curia. Secondly he stopped off on his way to pray at the tomb of Pius V :menace:
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2013, 07:46:14 PM
Secondly he stopped off on his way to pray at the tomb of Pius V :menace:

I SMELL CORPORATE SHAKE UP

Sheilbh

I still think he looks most like Alec Guinness as Smiley.

I can imagine when he goes to Castel Gandolfo to meet the retired Chief and hear there's a mole, right at the top of the Curia.

QuoteI SMELL CORPORATE SHAKE UP
Yep :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Well sure as shit. He's a white boy. So much for current events. Back to the Eastern front.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on March 14, 2013, 08:25:02 PM
Well sure as shit. He's a white boy. So much for current events. Back to the Eastern front.

I for one applaud the end of your semi-racist posts. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on March 14, 2013, 08:25:02 PM

Argies are mostly European  :secret:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

I imagine 11B4V would also really struggle at a Brazilian Oktoberfest :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

fhdz

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2013, 07:46:14 PM
Two other interesting hints. When there's sede vacante all the senior Curia lose their jobs. It's pro forma that the next pope reappoints them normally the day he's elected until he finds his own staff. So far Francis hasn't reappointed anyone to the Curia. Secondly he stopped off on his way to pray at the tomb of Pius V :menace:

Time to send some look-the-other-way shitheads to minister to Siberia.

Eddie Teach

The pope may be white, but Spiess's kids are still hispanic. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess