News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Papabile: Papal predictions thread

Started by Martinus, February 12, 2013, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So, since the other thread got derailed by Viking Contra Mundum, let's start some predicitions about the successor of B16.

Sheilbh, CdM, other catholics, any thoughts?

Caliga

I was gonna start a 'Languish papal enclave' thread. :P

Maybe we can list some nominees and then pollify the thread?  It would be neat if we predicted the next Pope correctly. :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

I'll throw a prediction out there:  Norberto Rivera Carrera.  He's "young", he's from Latin America (the Primate of Mexico, Archbishop of Mexico City), and he's a reliable conservative.

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on February 12, 2013, 12:01:51 PM
I'll throw a prediction out there:  Norberto Rivera Carrera.  He's "young", he's from Latin America (the Primate of Mexico, Archbishop of Mexico City), and he's a reliable conservative.

I saw him on TV a few years ago and the Mexican I was with commented that the guy had delusions of being pope and was way too conservative/bigoted.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2013, 12:25:42 PM
I saw him on TV a few years ago and the Mexican I was with commented that the guy had delusions of being pope and was way too conservative/bigoted.
Sounds like the perfect candidate to me.

Valmy

I will throw all my considerable influence behind the Archbishop of San Antonio Gustavo García-Siller.  Clearly being assigned this position in the most important province in the Catholic world means he is being prepared for Pope-hood.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on February 12, 2013, 12:30:08 PM
I will throw all my considerable influence behind the Archbishop of San Antonio Gustavo García-Siller.  Clearly being assigned this position in the most important province in the Catholic world means he is being prepared for Pope-hood.
Sorry, he's merely a child of 56. :(

Also, apparently not a Cardinal, but as I understand it you don't *have* to be a Cardinal to be elected Pope.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on February 12, 2013, 12:36:43 PM

Also, apparently not a Cardinal, but as I understand it you don't *have* to be a Cardinal to be elected Pope.

I think the only official qualification is "be Catholic".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

No, they can baptize you on the spot when they elect you.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on February 12, 2013, 01:12:15 PM

I think you have to be a bishop.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

Quote from: Josephus on February 12, 2013, 01:17:43 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 12, 2013, 01:12:15 PM

I think you have to be a bishop.

I'm pretty sure that in theory, you don't even have to be a priest.  But then, in theory, CdM and I are both eligible to be elected President of the United States.

Grey Fox

You need to be a baptized male. Like Zanza said, they could baptize you on the spot.

Only Cardinals under the age of 80 are allowed to vote, they tend to choose within that group.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on February 12, 2013, 11:51:53 AM
So, since the other thread got derailed by Viking Contra Mundum, let's start some predicitions about the successor of B16.

Sheilbh, CdM, other catholics, any thoughts?

time for a new front in the war on X-mas?

Pope Robbie I?

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

If were sticking with Cardinals, I would go with Yadier Molina.  He can really pick it and has some decent pop too.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson