Saffron gives farmers in war-torn Afghanistan a taste of the good life

Started by jimmy olsen, February 08, 2013, 12:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Some good news from Afghanistan for once.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/07/16886009-saffron-gives-farmers-in-war-torn-afghanistan-a-taste-of-the-good-life?lite

QuoteSaffron gives farmers in war-torn Afghanistan a taste of the good life

By Mel Preen, NBC News

Published at 11:50 a.m. ET: Afghan exports of pricey saffron jumped by 14 percent in 2012, with the crops squeezing out opium poppy production in parts of the war-torn country, according to government statistics.

In the Western province of Herat, 90 percent of the former poppy farmers have switched to growing the pungent and yellow spice, according to the Afghan Ministry of Counter Narcotics.

Saffron has helped turned Ghaffar Hamidzay, 28, into a successful businessman, with his exports ballooning since he set up Afghan Saffron in 2001 after the fall of the Taliban.

"In the beginning, we exported 50 to 60 kilos (110 to 132 pounds) a year. Now we export 1.5 to 2 tons," said the owner of Afghan Saffron, which now employs 5,000 people.  "When we first started the business, saffron sold for $200 to $250 per kilo. Today it is worth $1,500 to $1,600 per kilo."

The jump in saffron cultivation comes amid a concerted effort on the part of the government to cajole and force farmers to replace their opium crops.  Still, Afghanistan produces more than 90 percent of the world's opium, and much of the revenue from that goes to fund the Taliban.

Saffron has also proved a boost for smaller farmers such as Abdul Hassib, 35, who until recently planted poppy in his farm in Gozara, Herat.

"I used to sell [my saffron crop] for 70,000 Afghanis ($1,400) per kilo," said the father of nine.  "Now I sell it for 100,000 Afghanis ($2,000)."

One reason for the switch was that poppy is a lot harder to grow, Hassib said.  Besides, he makes more money from saffron, he added.

Related: Photos: Saffron replacing heroin?

As a comparison, a policeman in Afghanistan earns around $150 a month.

While saffron production is booming, problems still dog the nascent industry.

"We are trying our best to make Herat poppy-free, but we have a lot of problems with neighboring countries," said Zabullah Dayen, an adviser at the Ministry of Counter Narcotics, referring to neighboring Iran, which is the world's leading saffron exporter.

Many of Afghanistan's saffron producers believe neighboring Iran -- one of the world's leading producers of the spice -- is trying to destabilize their market to crush competition.

Farmers switching to saffron from poppy are also not very popular with the Taliban.  According to local reports saffron farmers have been threatened and told to switch back.

However in Herat, Hamidzay said he's had no complaints of harassment. The province is relatively stable compared with Helmand and Uruzgan in the south, where much of the country's poppy is grown.

"I'd like to request the Ministry of Counter Narcotics to do more work to convince farmers in those provinces to cultivate saffron instead," he said.

Afghanistan could be well on its way to fulfilling the wishes of Hamidzay and other saffron farmers. In 2011, the United States spent $1.4 million buying Afghan saffron, more than any other Afghan export, according to the Afghanistan Chamber of Commerce and Industries.
13comments
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

It's the most expensive legal plant I can think of. It comes in little vacuum packed wisps in glass.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Weren't pomegranates the Afghan-crop-that-will-displace-opium-flavor-of-the-month last year?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 08, 2013, 06:16:23 AM
Weren't pomegranates the Afghan-crop-that-will-displace-opium-flavor-of-the-month last year?
Pretty sure pomegranates don't go for $1500 a kilo.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

No, but they're also not so labor intensive. One of the reasons saffron is so expensive is that it still has to be harvested from the plants by hand, and has such a ridiculously low yield per kg raw material.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on February 08, 2013, 07:34:15 AM
No, but they're also not so labor intensive. One of the reasons saffron is so expensive is that it still has to be harvested from the plants by hand, and has such a ridiculously low yield per kg raw material.
Sounds perfect, creates more jobs :p
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 08, 2013, 04:57:58 AM
It's the most expensive legal plant I can think of. It comes in little vacuum packed wisps in glass.

Truffles?  A fungus I believe, are they plants or not?

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on February 08, 2013, 07:45:51 AM
Sounds perfect, creates more jobs :p

More info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHeWSUNijas
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Yep. I think it's about 75 000 flowers for half a kilo.

QuoteTruffles?  A fungus I believe, are they plants or not?
Yeah, truffles are more expensive.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

If we make saffron illegal they can charge even more so we'd be helping the Afghans. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.