News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does Crap + Crap Equal?

Started by Caliga, February 07, 2013, 07:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

The first time I flew American I was outraged that my ticket didn't include free booze  :mad:

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2013, 12:03:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 11:58:17 AM
I already pointed out my issue with American vis-a-vis business.

Your issue is hrrmph?

It is crappy business class. Apart from a little bit extra room, it's really not great and definitely not an improvement in experience that justifies the increase in price tag. 
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 12:07:37 PM
It is crappy business class. Apart from a little bit extra room, it's really not great and definitely not an improvement in experience that justifies the increase in price tag.

Then you have the choice of riding the Yugo with everyone else and not bitching about it.

Eddie Teach

Difference between the plane and a bus is the bus you can get off anytime you want.

Bitching about his Yugo is garbon's god-given right.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 07, 2013, 12:24:23 PM
Bitching about his Yugo is garbon's god-given right.

Not riding the Yugo is grabon's grab-godly right.  Bitching about a Yugo not being a Rolls Royce is a sign of congitive dissonance.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2013, 12:28:39 PM
Not riding the Yugo is grabon's grab-godly right.

Also true. He has a lot of rights.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2013, 12:15:11 PM

Then you have the choice of riding the Yugo with everyone else and not bitching about it.

I don't get to bitch because American offers substandard flights across the board? :huh:

And no, I'll just mainly to flying Virgin America when I get my own choice as there I can get a cheap flight that isn't "a Yugo".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 07, 2013, 12:24:23 PM
Difference between the plane and a bus is the bus you can get off anytime you want.

The other difference is that you never make it to Cuba in a hijacked bus.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2013, 10:10:40 AM
My flight to Brazil is on American.  :ph34r:
Have fun sitting through all of the "maintenance issues".
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

The problem with crappy airline seating is that too many USAians like being cattle, and vote with their dollars in such as way by trying to squeeze down every penny from the airline tickets.  And the gap to step up from coach to business/first class is usually like going from gutter cleaners to Warren Buffet.

If it meant getting a good amount of leg room and better seats, I'd easily tack on $100-200 more for a flight.  But an extra $1k+ for first class?  Nah.

Ed Anger

Which is why I fly first class. Away from the scum.

Or in one case, private jet.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 07, 2013, 07:24:20 PM
The problem with crappy airline seating is that too many USAians like being cattle, and vote with their dollars in such as way by trying to squeeze down every penny from the airline tickets.  And the gap to step up from coach to business/first class is usually like going from gutter cleaners to Warren Buffet.

If it meant getting a good amount of leg room and better seats, I'd easily tack on $100-200 more for a flight.  But an extra $1k+ for first class?  Nah.

I don't know I mean we are talking all the time about people having difficulty making ends meet. Do people actually have several hundred dollars to tack onto a plane ticket post-baggage fees?

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 07, 2013, 07:24:20 PM

If the flight isn't very long (say less than 4 hours), the price I would pay to get into business class is extremely low. Maybe $20 or so. I have some frequent flyer status so I get upgraded on some domestic flights, and really the only tangible benefit I see is that I get on and off the plane first and my bags won't be checked because there isn't overhead space left.

Long haul international flights are a different ball game. Sitting in coach seats for that long would in other contexts would constitute torture. When I travel for business I get to be in business class on those flights, and the lay flat seats make all the difference. I've actually taken overnight international flights that land ~6am and gone to work that day without missing a beat--and no one at the office is the wiser. I can sleep about as well as in a normal bed. However, the cost is so much more, I would be hesitant to ever pay it out of pocket. I think of it like this: if someone was going to be pay myself and my wife $6k to be uncomfortable sleeping for a night or two, I'd be inclined to take that offer.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

I was on an American flight recently that was long haul but business class had seats that reclined only as far as they do on domestic flights and didn't have an entertainment system. If anyone actually paid for those seats, they would probably be really pissed.

American announced they were going to modernize all their planes by some future date (2014?) a year or two ago, I don't know whether bankruptcy is going to halt that. I hope not because their product does seem to suck on a lot of routes.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Well apparently the merged airline will fly with the American name, not US Airways.