Main Menu

What does Crap + Crap Equal?

Started by Caliga, February 07, 2013, 07:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Doublecrap?  Supercrap?

QuoteAmerican and US Airways to combine as world's largest airline
By Tim Fernholz — 9 hours ago

It was the deal that everyone expected: Bankrupt American Airlines will merge with US Airways, uniting the fourth and fifth largest airlines in the US and creating the world's largest airline; their combined passenger traffic last year was some 170 million people.

That's more people in the air in a single year than the entire population of Nigeria.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the merger being finalized with support from American's lenders will create a $10 billion company led by US Airways CEO Doug Parker, if approved by a bankruptcy judge and anti-trust regulators. Other details remain to be sorted out, including the role of American's CEO, Tom Horton—who was Parker's cubicle-mate when the two were colleagues at American earlier in their careers.

US Airways has been wooing American since Nov. 2011, when American became the last of the United States' big four airlines to enter bankruptcy due to the challenges of aging technology, growing pension obligations and competition. Two of those airlines have merged with smaller rivals; two years ago, United and Continental combined in a merger that is still rough around the edges, while the Southwest-AirTran merger in 2009 has been smoother sailing.

Though unions representing American's workers have supported a merger, the airline's management had been resisting a deal, perhaps because of the long history of airline CEOs striking it rich by shepherding their companies through Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.

Analysts say this consolidation will be a good thing for an industry that has struggled for profitability amid price-cutting competition. Now, with fewer players, fares are going up. It's good news for airline investors, bad for airline passengers, but the silver lining is that with less competition on the price front, airlines will have a greater incentive to invest in customer service and a more pleasant flight experience.

The new company would supplant United as the world's largest airline; outside of the United States, the only airline within striking distance is fast-growing Emirates, which was forecast to be the world's second-largest carrier before news of the American-US Airways tie-up.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

LaCroix

the same as every other airlines: except they'll try and one-up the others, or not, with extra amenities

i've never flown them before. i like frontier, because if you have two bags to check you actually save money by selecting their special middle-package - and receive free TV to watch during the flight. the consequence, of course, is having a lion or chimpanzee on the tail of your plane  :(

Capetan Mihali

I always fly United American Northwest-Southwest Pan-American Continental Republic US Airways.   :cool:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

mongers

Oh, I thought this was going to be Cal's nutritional advice for the day thread.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

garbon

Might have bought this is it was United + US Airways.  American isn't particularly good but of those "main" carriers (thinking things like Delta), I think it is a bit better.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

My flight to Brazil is on American.  :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 07, 2013, 09:08:04 AM
I'll just rent a car, thanks.

We don't all have unlimited time on our hands.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Don't pay Yugo prices and expect Rolls Royce quality.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2013, 10:16:04 AM

I flown business class on American a handful of times now and hrmph.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2013, 10:16:04 AM

"Today's airplanes are like Greyhound buses" is a common refrain/harrumph.  And it's pretty much true: more amenities, but more cramped.  Plus a significantly more middle class demographic.  And therefore more petty squabbles, passive-aggressive politeness, and tepid conversation versus the lumping-it resignation, raw intimidation, and loud cellphone conversation paradigm of the long distance bus.

But my question is, why is this a bad thing?  A Peter Pan coach shooting through the air and delivering you from New York to LA in, what, 5 hours?  Or the other way to London in another hour or something?  That sounds pretty damn good.  Especially if the price is right.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 07, 2013, 11:37:14 AM
"Today's airplanes are like Greyhound buses" is a common refrain/harrumph.  And it's pretty much true: more amenities, but more cramped.  Plus a significantly more middle class demographic.  And therefore more petty squabbles, passive-aggressive politeness, and tepid conversation versus the lumping-it resignation, raw intimidation, and loud cellphone conversation paradigm of the long distance bus.

But my question is, why is this a bad thing?  A Peter Pan coach shooting through the air and delivering you from New York to LA in, what, 5 hours?  Or the other way to London in another hour or something?  That sounds pretty damn good.  Especially if the price is right.

I agree.  Folks who bitch about crappy air travel should shell out for the business or first class seats.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2013, 11:44:14 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 07, 2013, 11:37:14 AM

I agree.  Folks who bitch about crappy air travel should shell out for the business or first class seats.

I already pointed out my issue with American vis-a-vis business.

Also, because it doesn't have to be crappy. Virgin America has lot of sales and is pretty cheap (though doesn't go everywhere) - and is consistently better than any of the airlines listed so far in this thread.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 11:58:17 AM
I already pointed out my issue with American vis-a-vis business.

Your issue is hrrmph?