At The Gates - Civ meets Barbarian Invasions?

Started by Syt, February 06, 2013, 12:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Long article:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/06/4xtra-jon-shafer-explains-at-the-gates/

Gist: Civ-style gameplay as one of eight barbarian tribes who have to grow and expand, and finally topple Rome or Constantinople. Comes with historical and random maps. Game is planned to have seasons (freezing rivers, no food from farms in winter) and finite resources (when they run out you have to either expand or migrate).

New developer, led by Jon Shafer of Civ 5 fame and Fallen Enchantress meh-dom. Basically, he thinks the late middle and late game of most 4x games is slow and boring (because most of the times you're only left with mopping up the map) and wants to change that.

And there'll be a Kickstarter campaign.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

What needs to be done, is for someone to get off their lazy asses and do a turn-based Great Invasions 2.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on February 06, 2013, 02:03:10 PM
What needs to be done, is for someone to get off their lazy asses and do a turn-based Great Invasions 2.

I have the original somewhere, never played it, was it any good ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: mongers on February 06, 2013, 02:31:31 PM

Problem is that it is horribly unstable. Nice idea but I could never play that long without game breaking bugs (the primary one being that game would freeze up and you'd have to quit and start up again). Also feel that they really needed to push ideas further. Really just a nice concept.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2013, 02:36:31 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 06, 2013, 02:31:31 PM

Problem is that it is horribly unstable. Nice idea but I could never play that long without game breaking bugs (the primary one being that game would freeze up and you'd have to quit and start up again). Also feel that they really needed to push ideas further. Really just a nice concept.

Cheers for that.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Sounds good but...not having a late game?
The late beginning of 4x sucks, that is just mopping up the last uncolonised bits. But the late game itself where you finally get to destroy everything that has been built up for in game centuries? Thats a great part.
██████
██████
██████