News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Normal is the easiest mode.  :P

Kick it up to Master or one of the Torment levels. It is considerably more difficult unless you're properly geared out with a few legendaries and quality rare items.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Huh.  Well I'm almost done with act V so I'm just going to finish it.  I've gotten some fun out of it.  You don't do much thinking in the game, you just go forward slaughtering and seeing pretty lights.  It's like playing solitaire on the computer except with swords and boobies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

And collect loot and loot and more loot.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on May 16, 2014, 09:14:12 AM
Huh.  Well I'm almost done with act V so I'm just going to finish it.  I've gotten some fun out of it.  You don't do much thinking in the game, you just go forward slaughtering and seeing pretty lights.  It's like playing solitaire on the computer except with swords and boobies.

Yeah, that sounds exactly like Diablo. So much clicking.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Sometimes I just like a game where my brain can just turn off as I play it.  I honestly never cared for Diablo I or II.  Maybe I just had my head up my ass to much then.  Or maybe they weren't as good.  It is much simpler then the other games.  You do all the controls with the mouse and four keys.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Diablo 3 is one of my music games, ie games that require so little effort that I play it when I'm primarily listening to music.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on May 16, 2014, 11:02:50 PM
Sometimes I just like a game where my brain can just turn off as I play it.

I find stuff like Bejeweled 3 or Tetris good for that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Yeah, D3 is definitely my go-to 'background' game. I play it while listening to podcasts or watching television or something else.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

11B4V

Hopefully I will be digging into Tiller's Panzer Battles this weekend. I am well tardy on game time due to more pressing matters. Seems well research and the PDF documentation is well done and layed out.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Quote from: 11B4V on May 17, 2014, 05:35:04 PM
Hopefully I will be digging into Tiller's Panzer Battles this weekend. I am well tardy on game time due to more pressing matters. Seems well research and the PDF documentation is well done and layed out.

OK Siege.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on May 17, 2014, 05:37:11 PM

OK Siege.

Play with your little lead dolls. The Panzer's will be rolling soon.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Spent most of today playing Tropico 4, after seeing the previews from quill18 and totalbiscuit for Tropico 5.

I like the game, but unless you crank up the volatility of your society and/or random events, and create a small/mineral poor island, it's far too easy. In my game today (difficulty level 117%), I had a few revel attacks in the 60s and 70s, and briefly had the USSR threatening invasion in the late 70s, but by that point my economy (a few cash crops, plus lumber and a few hotels) was already snowballing out of control. By the end I had a space program, an arcology, that super office building, the 7 star hotel and much more, while easily winning elections with 80-85% of the votes.

From what I've seen, T5 will not be much difficult. The new eras (Colonial, WW2) seem to play very much like T1/3/4, except with different factions/foreign powers (e.g. Axis and Allies), and a rudimentary tech tree tacked on. There appear to be last customization options for your avatar, but you generate "progeny" during gameplay that you can use to run your island or use as manager character in buildings.

So far I think I will wait for a sale once the game plus all (inevitable) DLC is out (much like with Tropico 4).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Not impressed so far. That being said here's why:

Overall game flow is clunky and not intuitive.
Accurate maps
Well reasearched
Too top down wargamish.
Great PDF docs.

Bottom line is Combat Mission series has ruined me on games of this ilk (i.e. Panzer Battles, Steel Panthers, Squad Battles...etc.) They just cant compete.

I'll keep fiddling with it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 18, 2014, 05:07:04 PM
Bottom line is Combat Mission series has ruined me on games of this ilk (i.e. Panzer Battles, Steel Panthers, Squad Battles...etc.) They just cant compete.

Shit, figured you would've come to that conclusion years ago.  Stuff like PB and SP are just Big Meh now.