News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Just had an epic game of computer Talisman. Next time we'll use (in-built) house rules.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on April 05, 2014, 05:30:52 PM
Just had an epic game of computer Talisman. Next time we'll use (in-built) house rules.

Yeah, as board game conversions go it's pretty good.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

Broke down and bought Diablo III, played it most of the weekend.

My thoughts vs. PoE:

PoE is the richer game, with many interesting choices in character development.  Both do a good job of the standard kill bunches of things and collect loot esthetic of Diablo.  Diablo III is easier to get into though, and is just plain more fun.  I find the PoE skill gem mechanism annoying and fiddly to deal with, even if I like the increased flexibility of skills with that system.

Zanza

I played Diablo for an hour or two or so and then got bored. Not sure if I'll ever go back.

Razgovory

I'm downloading the demo for Diablo III.  Damn it's big.  It's like 25Gigs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Scipio

D3 plus RoS is great fun. Enjoyed Act V. Clearly set up Diablo 4.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on April 03, 2014, 10:09:05 AM
Quote from: Scipio on April 03, 2014, 06:52:57 AM
Diablo III. Haven't bought Reaper of Souls, but the base game is much improved anyway.

I played the demo back when it first came out and was unimpressed.  Even the demo is a lot better now (other than occasional game stutters).  The question is if it's enough better than Path of Exiles to buy it.

After hearing how much better it is, I tried DIII again this weekend.  They were right.  It is better now.  But it is still easy mode play compared to POE.   The games appeal to different types of gamers.  If you like an easy game to escape into DIII is perfect for that.  It was enjoyable to play for that reason. But if you want something more complex that requires a number of decisions regarding character development and gearing choices then POE is definitely the superior game.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on April 07, 2014, 05:17:54 PM
I'm downloading the demo for Diablo III.  Damn it's big.  It's like 25Gigs.

Thats because you are downloading the entire game. Blizzard doesn't do demos, it gives free access.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 07, 2014, 06:50:59 PM
After hearing how much better it is, I tried DIII again this weekend.  They were right.  It is better now.  But it is still easy mode play compared to POE.   The games appeal to different types of gamers.  If you like an easy game to escape into DIII is perfect for that.  It was enjoyable to play for that reason. But if you want something more complex that requires a number of decisions regarding character development and gearing choices then POE is definitely the superior game.

I agree with all of this, but I think POE is making it unnecessarily tough on its user base.  The number one culprit is skill gems.  If there was a better management tool for them other than mousing over/clicking and dropping on an equipment socket I'd enjoy the gearing choices a lot more.  With DIII it takes about 10-20 seconds for me to pick a new skill and try it out.  With POE I probably have to got back to my stash, find and pull the gem out of storage and figure out where I'm going to socket it (possibly rearranging other gems in the process).  I've spent way more time fiddling about with my skill gems than I should need to.  It's annoying because they did such a good job making the big, complicated passive skill tree legible and easy to use.

Grey Fox

I prefer D3 to PoE for the exact reason you(frunk) and CC are stating but I think changing how the gem skills work in PoE would be removing the essence of that game. This is what PoE is about, finding the gems for your skills and planning, planning, planning your character development.

sbr

I haven't played either game but complex doesn't have to mean hard to use.

frunk

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 08, 2014, 09:56:18 AM
I prefer D3 to PoE for the exact reason you(frunk) and CC are stating but I think changing how the gem skills work in PoE would be removing the essence of that game. This is what PoE is about, finding the gems for your skills and planning, planning, planning your character development.

I think you could keep the existing system but provide a better management tool for the gems.  Maybe make a separate gem management screen apart from the equipment screen where it would show all your currently socketed gems in a more legible display (as in not having to mouse over every damn one) as well as the gems you could add from storage.

Grey Fox

In the world of ARPGs? It kinda does or the purist will hang you.

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on April 08, 2014, 09:53:12 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 07, 2014, 06:50:59 PM

I agree with all of this, but I think POE is making it unnecessarily tough on its user base.  The number one culprit is skill gems.  If there was a better management tool for them other than mousing over/clicking and dropping on an equipment socket I'd enjoy the gearing choices a lot more.  With DIII it takes about 10-20 seconds for me to pick a new skill and try it out.  With POE I probably have to got back to my stash, find and pull the gem out of storage and figure out where I'm going to socket it (possibly rearranging other gems in the process).  I've spent way more time fiddling about with my skill gems than I should need to.  It's annoying because they did such a good job making the big, complicated passive skill tree legible and easy to use.

I agree.  The interface could be a lot better.

Razgovory

I bought a game called Ace Combat for 10 bucks off steam.  Console flight game.  Very mediocre.  Pretty graphics, but there's not much there, there.  It does give me the option of flying a MiG 21 fishbed off an aircraft carrier though.  That tells you about the games dedication to accuracy.  The enemy is apparently Russian gangsters with an airforce.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017