News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Raz, I bought Space Hulk because I have some faith that with patches it will be awesome.

And if it doesn't work out - meh, 10 bucks. No real harm done.
and the horse you rode in on

sbr

Anyone have any advice on a decent to mid-level gaming mouse?

I don't want to spend a bunch of money and I want to use it for my regular internet browsing/fucking off as well. 

I have been using a wireless mouse for a few years now, but have no real preference in a new one.

Syt

I'm reasonably happy with my Razor Naga, been using it for almost 2 years now.

It's especially handy for any game with rebindable keys and (obviously) MMOs, because it basically has a NUMPAD grafted to its side (you can choose for it to either emulate NUMPAD or the twelve number/symbol keys on top of your keyboard.

The two extra buttons you see on the left are defaulting to back/forward in my browser, though I think you can reprogram them.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

Quote from: Syt on December 24, 2013, 12:30:07 AM
I'm reasonably happy with my Razor Naga, been using it for almost 2 years now.

It's especially handy for any game with rebindable keys and (obviously) MMOs, because it basically has a NUMPAD grafted to its side (you can choose for it to either emulate NUMPAD or the twelve number/symbol keys on top of your keyboard.

The two extra buttons you see on the left are defaulting to back/forward in my browser, though I think you can reprogram them.

I like that but I am worried about the 1-12 keys on the side.  I regularly fat-finger the wrong keys on my normal keyboard, how easy is it to make sure you are hitting the right button on that?

Syt

So do I, but you're only using your thumb, so it's a bit easier. It took me a bit getting used to, but within a few days I was fine and wouldn't want it any other way now. The buttons are nicely tactile. The lines 4-6 and 10-12 also have a little "bump" so you can tell them apart more easily. See if you can try one in a store if you're in doubt.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

I wish they made the 2013(or is it 2014?) naga in a left handed form.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

I'm happy with my Razer DeathAdder. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

"They are enemies of the people. Destroy the town, and kill everyone in it."

The original C&C Red Alert. :wub:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grallon

Bought Civ5 and all the attendant DLCs - lots of improvement since I last played that series (Civ3 or 4 can't recall).  I especially like the new Religious and Trade mechanics.

However that game is still plagued with the same problem it's been plagued since the 1st one: time management.  It's like watching a clock made by a madman; all the gears move at a different pace and so you get absurb things like : taking 800 years to build a granary or a worker.  Similarly the time it takes for those workers to do a specific job is ludicrous.  I know you can mod this - I've tried - only to see the game crash on me for some unknown reason.  And then, there's my long standing pet peeve: the god dam calendar which is still BC/AD based - in a game where you can found a new religion called Grallonism, on fantasy world where they never heard of Jesus.  Clumsy design.  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Solmyr

They should just ditch the calendar and go by turn numbers. Or maybe let you found your own calendar when you found a religion/get a great prophet or something.

Grallon

Quote from: Solmyr on December 27, 2013, 08:33:56 AM
They should just ditch the calendar and go by turn numbers. Or maybe let you found your own calendar when you found a religion/get a great prophet or something.

The only thing I've been able to mod without issue is the starting year - from -4000 BC to 1AD (won't accept 0 apaprently).  Still I will attempt to mod some more if only to get one decent game out of this title.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

frunk

If you play the Mayans it switches to the Mayan calendar when you discover Calendar.

Iormlund

Finished my first playthrough of XCom: Enemy Within (Normal; Ironman; most Second Wave options).

MECs are fucking awesome with the random stat/stat growth thing. I went Asia and focused on getting one as soon as possible, then maxing squad numbers. I was still fielding vanilla soldiers by the time Terror attacks started, but Chrysalids just can't compete with a MEC.
They are ridiculously mobile with the jets and power fist, plus restorative mist makes medkits redundant for everything but reviving people.

To face the final Ethereals I had a couple MEC Colonels with 99 (Heavy, Pulse) and 114 (Sniper, Prox Mines) aim, 153 will (boosted with lead by example, Psi inspiration) and 30 health. Stuff just melted before them.

My final squad was made of those dudes, a fully upgraded SHIV (priceless for recon, drawing fire and flanking), Zhang (don't really like heavies but how can I not field Jet Lee with paranormal powers), a Swedish chick with great stats as smoke/ghost nade Support and another psyker girl as Assault (with rifle rather than shottie for added flexibility).

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Pic of the Swedish chick's "stats"?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.