News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I've played bits of Desktop Dungeons this morning - it's fun, though the special edition price (with all DLC) at EUR 20-something seems steep.

Still playing WWE 2k14. I fail to win as Ricky Steamboat against Macho Man in Wrestlemania III. :(

Also, getting custom music on the XBox sucks ass: burn music to audio CD, put CD in XBox and rip it, create a separate playlist for each song.

Still, having Ludvig Borga, the Hollywood Blonds, Vader, Goldust or LoD enter with the correct music is (almost) worth it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Finally started to get into Far Cry 3.  Hunting is a big part of the game, since you need animals skins to manufacturer ammunition belts and the like.  I suppose just picking up a backpack is beyond Jason Brody, the main character.  However only certain animals can be used to make certain upgrade, for instance I need to kill and skin two emus to make a wallet.  I started off chasing goats around with a machete, and eventually got a sniper rifle which is remarkably ineffective against a lot of animals.  I shot a tiger three or four times with a high powered rifle and it just ran away.  So I've had to change tactics, which has led some hilariously absurd scenes such as me running through the jungle chucking hand grenades at tigers so I can use them to make slings for my guns.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grallon

So after completing my mod for CKII - I should say my working prototype - I learned that another DLC was coming which will most likely change the game mechanics again and so force me to do another rewrite.  And with Paradox detestable habit of not documenting anything I simply burned out.

And so I decided to try new things - amusingly after being so reticent about STEAM I'm getting to like it a lot.  The first thing I bought was Total War II - played an hour - then moved on to Endless Space - played a few days.  Then I got Eador: Masters of the Broken World.  I really like this one but the AI cheats like there's no tomorrow so after reaching lvl 10 (10 shards of the broken world conquered) I went in search of another title.  I bought Masters of the World - which is the Geo-political Simulator 3.  I played a few runs as Stephen Harper (that's a laugh!) but I never seemed to be able to keep my popularity.  In the last one I survived one year (hovering around 30% popularity) until I was gored by a bull in an agricultural function... :nelson:

So I bought yet another - and this one is a keeper I think:

Age of Decadence
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

This is a hardcore old school single player RPG with a twist: it is set in an apocalyptic post Roman Empire world.  The download is finished and I'm about to try it.  So excited!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Syt

I've been following that one for years. It's still not finished?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2013, 12:10:17 AM
I've been following that one for years. It's still not finished?

Yeah, I remember hearing about that half a decade ago.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I find these first impressions not very encouraging:

http://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/age-decadence-review/

I don't mind a hard game, but the main point of his impressions seems to be that it's very difficult to impossible to make informed decisions in the game and that it largely comes down to trial and error.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grallon

Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2013, 01:16:00 AM
I find these first impressions not very encouraging:

http://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/age-decadence-review/

I don't mind a hard game, but the main point of his impressions seems to be that it's very difficult to impossible to make informed decisions in the game and that it largely comes down to trial and error.

What they are selling now is what they call the 'Extended Demo' which is the full game minus the last chapter which will be completed 1st quarter of 2014.  By that time the game will update itself through Steam without further costs. 

And yes it *is* difficult... For instance I couldn't survive my first fight (lore master apprentice against a full lore master).  The reviewer is right about the lack of information when it comes to builds.  When I went onto their forum to complain that I didn't understand how combat work I was told by one of the Devs : "well the other guy wants to live too so you have to be better..."  The smug condescension isn't very helpful.  And you can't pan the camera - so after GW2 it's disappointing.  I'll give it another try but if I can't progress that too will get back on the shelf.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

So were nearly all the commentators AoD staffers?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Grallon on November 18, 2013, 08:06:15 AMThe smug condescension isn't very helpful.

I noticed that on their forums before and it's also something that turns me off the game a fair bit.

I will wait how things look after full release, though, and see if it becomes any more malleable or if the devs keep brushing off critics as not being hardcore enough for their game.
—Stephen Jay Gould

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Scipio

State of Decay is interesting. Has potential. But the camera is wonky.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

fhdz

Quote from: Syt on November 15, 2013, 04:13:29 AM
I've played bits of Desktop Dungeons this morning - it's fun, though the special edition price (with all DLC) at EUR 20-something seems steep.

I actually prefer the free, 8-bit version which I've been playing off and on for ages now. I really wish they'd give you an option to change the art back. Hate the new art.
and the horse you rode in on

Grallon

Fahdiz - have you played Dominions 4 yet?  From the description it seems like 3 but with more factions - visually it certainly isn't different.

G.

~Jean-François Revel

fhdz

Quote from: Grallon on November 20, 2013, 06:07:32 PM
Fahdiz - have you played Dominions 4 yet?  From the description it seems like 3 but with more factions - visually it certainly isn't different.

G.

I haven't; I've been holding off. There have been so many less-expensive games that I've wanted to play recently, and Dom 3 scratches my occasional Dominions itch really well for the moment.
and the horse you rode in on

Scipio

Got VanHelsing Complete on sale. It's like Diablo III, only fun and charming.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt