Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: sbr on February 16, 2013, 09:05:40 PM
There is something about galciv2 o just can't get into.  I like the parts individually nut the game just doesn't hold my interest.

I almost fired up BotF
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

There is something about galciv2 o just can't get into.  I like the parts individually nut the game just doesn't hold my interest.

Yeah, me too.  I think the problem is one of style and immersion.  You just don't "feel" like a mighty space king when you play it.  Compare this to a game like Alpha Centauri, where there was a lot of polish and back story.  Quotes, little movies, nifty little extras.  It helps with the immersion.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Downloaded Torchlight 2 from steam yesterday. Its a hoot.  Instead of being restricted to the one town with never ending dungeon levels they have created a world to play in.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2013, 12:39:58 AM

Yeah, me too.  I think the problem is one of style and immersion.  You just don't "feel" like a mighty space king when you play it.  Compare this to a game like Alpha Centauri, where there was a lot of polish and back story.  Quotes, little movies, nifty little extras.  It helps with the immersion.

IMO all the 4x Space games are MOO2 updates if you will. I wish someone would update MOO2. AC is not a space 4x game.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I've started playing Icewind Dale.

I've realized that I have a whole slew of unfinished RPGs sitting on my shelf/on my hard drive:
BG1&2, ID1&2, PS:T, the Avernum series (started playing the first part, but MAN it's tough), Geneforge series, Dragon Age 1&2, Mass Effect 3, Sacred 2, all Ultimas, Witcher 1&2, Fallout: NV . . .

So I declare 2013 Syt's Year of the RPG. And I will not buy any new games this year (except maybe cheap indie titles or CK2 expansions).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2013, 03:01:51 PM
I've started playing Icewind Dale.

I've realized that I have a whole slew of unfinished RPGs sitting on my shelf/on my hard drive:
BG1&2, ID1&2, PS:T, the Avernum series (started playing the first part, but MAN it's tough), Geneforge series, Dragon Age 1&2, Mass Effect 3, Sacred 2, all Ultimas, Witcher 1&2, Fallout: NV . . .

So I declare 2013 Syt's Year of the RPG. And I will not buy any new games this year (except maybe cheap indie titles or CK2 expansions).

I liked IWD1 & 2.  Played them when the first came out. A fav.

Syt

Yeah, I'm rolling with:
2 dwarf fighters
1 dwarf cleric
1 dwarf thief
1 elf ranger
1 human mage

Still in the prologue, but liking it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 18, 2013, 03:27:05 PM
Go Dwarves!

Is Dwarf Fortress enthusiasm leaching into playing style for other games ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on February 18, 2013, 02:28:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 17, 2013, 12:39:58 AM

IMO all the 4x Space games are MOO2 updates if you will. I wish someone would update MOO2. AC is not a space 4x game.

I agree.  Nobody has really advanced the formula that much.  The problem is I think, that people try to remake MOO2 instead of their own game.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Tamas

Altough micro and map graphics did turn me off again eventually, I actually had some pretty good fun with heavily modded MOO3 not so long ago.

It has staggering details (planets are divided into several zones with different attributes for example), but you can -much like in DW- decide to concentrate on what you want. Or to be more precise, you are supposed to concentrate on what a strategic leader would and just create plans for your governors.

I am forever angry at the fucking micromanage-fetished control freak nerds who with their pre-release whining destroyed the original design idea behind MOO3, where you had command points to spend to do shit, and instead had the devs do what was released

Grey Fox

Quote from: mongers on February 18, 2013, 03:40:50 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 18, 2013, 03:27:05 PM
Go Dwarves!

Is Dwarf Fortress enthusiasm leaching into playing style for other games ? :unsure:

Not really. It's Warcraft & Tolkien's fault
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

11B4V

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2013, 04:36:26 PM
Altough micro and map graphics did turn me off again eventually, I actually had some pretty good fun with heavily modded MOO3 not so long ago.

It has staggering details (planets are divided into several zones with different attributes for example), but you can -much like in DW- decide to concentrate on what you want. Or to be more precise, you are supposed to concentrate on what a strategic leader would and just create plans for your governors.

I am forever angry at the fucking micromanage-fetished control freak nerds who with their pre-release whining destroyed the original design idea behind MOO3, where you had command points to spend to do shit, and instead had the devs do what was released

Never played it based on the reviews alone.