What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: saskganesh on November 08, 2012, 11:47:08 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 07, 2012, 06:22:17 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on November 07, 2012, 02:30:49 PM
Just driving by...

Been running an OSR tabletop D&D game for the last year and a half. 4-6 players every two weeks. Awesome fun. I haven't DM'ed for two decades, so that's part of the appeal.

I like what I have seen of CK2 but am waiting a bit before I surrender my soul, time and mind to another PC game.

You're right; the former sounds better than the later.  :)

A friend of mine was trying really hard to join her on playing D&D Online and I asked her if she had played the Real Thing. She had never, so it all started from there. We began a game, and players emerged out of the woodwork. Lots of folks are hungry for this kind of game it seems. Part of it is nostalgia, but there is also the cool tactile experience of rolling dice as well as the social element. :)

That's rather cool, give people authenticity rather than exclusively digital interactions and profit.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

I'm replaying Red Alert 3.

It's silly, it's aimed at teenagers living in the basement of their parent's place.
The graphics are cartoonish, not my favorite kind.
The unit pathfinding is horrible.

Yet, I have fun replaying it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Scipio

The Banner Saga Beta.  Some interesting ideas, with some beautiful art and animation.  Many bespoke game mechanics to figure out.  Still very opaque.  Really more of an alpha than a beta.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Played Political Machine 2012 yesterday. I lost the elections even worse playing as Romney, even though I took Ohio and Pennsylvania. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2012, 02:57:52 PM
I'm replaying Red Alert 3.

It's silly, it's aimed at teenagers living in the basement of their parent's place.
The graphics are cartoonish, not my favorite kind.
The unit pathfinding is horrible.

Yet, I have fun replaying it.

I'm not sure who it was aimed at. It was just dreadful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Yeah, that game went past camp to just silly. Though I may not have liked it because of the anime Japanese bullshit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

I got gifted Natural Selection 2 so I think I'll play it this weekend. The original mod was one of my favorite games ever.  :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

I think I may do a Combat Mission AAR soon.  I downloaded the Demo for the Fortress Italy game, and one of the three scenarios that it comes with you play as the Italians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Drakken

Started a new game of Pride of Nations under the latest 1.03c - as Russia. Gonna pogrom the hell out of my hinterlands. Bozhe, Tsarya khrani indeed.  :nelson:

Oddly, it's the only nation without any AAR whatsover on both Paradox and AGEOD websites. Seems Russia intimidates a lot of players by its sheer size. So I am pondering making one, just for the lulz. Yes, the whole 1700 turns.

sbr

I'll set the over/under on the number of turns completed in  that aar at 46.5.

Drakken

Quote from: sbr on November 26, 2012, 10:14:47 AM
I'll set the over/under on the number of turns completed in  that aar at 46.5.

I take those odds. I have already a few turns played out. Nothing too big : expand my coal production, set up trading nets through Europe by buying stuff from minors and reselling them, expand my depot network south towards the Ottomans, start diplomatic overtures with Moldovia and Wallachia aiming to vassalize them and add them to my sphere of influence promote slavic friendship and interdependence, explore into Khiva.

Turns are still slow (for me) but I don't care if the turns take 2-3 minutes to roll.

Just imagine, there's currenly a huge 24-players multiplayer game going on. These guys are mad.  :wacko:

I admit the game is a gargantuan mess. :lol: But oddly I find it more alluring and instinctive to play than Victoria 2 given the scope, in spite of the horrid UI. What does it for me, it's the kind of game you can (and must) take your time to develop and do stuff, because overexpansion can hit you harsh in the nads if you rush.

Razgovory

I thought of that game as something like 12 0'clock high, a game no sane person could possibly complete.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2012, 05:08:42 PM
I thought of that game as something like 12 0'clock high, a game no sane person could possibly complete.

Was a stable/final/modded version of Victoria 2 eventually playable and enjoyable ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Fuck if I know.  I never bought that one.  I knew that one had train wreck written all over it.  In fact, I think trains played a major part in the game.

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2012, 05:08:42 PM

12 O'Clock High is relatively playable if you
- play as Allies
- just give general directives (attack refineries, attack targets in Hamburg area etc.)
- leave the rest to AI
- do something else while the turn is calculating

Playing as Germans or planning every bombing sortie yourself? Possibly more of a chore than playing WitPAE.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.