News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Bought CoD: Black Ops. I felt like shooting at something and this was the newest installment in the only shooting franchise I know of.

Installing...

What colour of people can I expect to kill?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

sbr

I have been playing Fallout 3 for the first time and have been enjoying it quite a bit.  Killing things with a baseball bat in VATS mode is incredibly amusing.  No mods this time through but I expect I will play through at least once more after this game.

I have played the first Fallout for only a couple of hours in the past but haven't really gotten anywhere with it and have never played FO2 so I can't compare it to the originals. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Liep on April 03, 2011, 02:25:48 PM
Bought CoD: Black Ops. I felt like shooting at something and this was the newest installment in the only shooting franchise I know of.

Installing...

I bought it, but only played about 3 minutes of it.  I was distracted by my shiny M-16 rifle (with mounted grenade launcher!), in 1961 Havana.  While being shot at was indeed disturbing, the effects on space-time of a long arm falling backwards several years into my hands concerned me much more.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2011, 11:05:40 PM

Installing...

I bought it, but only played about 3 minutes of it.  I was distracted by my shiny M-16 rifle (with mounted grenade launcher!), in 1961 Havana.  While being shot at was indeed disturbing, the effects on space-time of a long arm falling backwards several years into my hands concerned me much more.

This has to be played in MP. In an objective-based mode, the Havana map is excellent for camping with an M14. Yes, even unscoped M14 is much better than any sniper rifle, thanks to no recoil. :rolleyes:

grumbler

Quote from: sbr on April 03, 2011, 07:30:42 PM
I have been playing Fallout 3 for the first time and have been enjoying it quite a bit.  Killing things with a baseball bat in VATS mode is incredibly amusing.  No mods this time through but I expect I will play through at least once more after this game.
Make sure you play with Fallout Wanderer's Edition when you decide to go with mods.  It makes the game much harder and tactics more decisive.

QuoteI have played the first Fallout for only a couple of hours in the past but haven't really gotten anywhere with it and have never played FO2 so I can't compare it to the originals.
New Vegas is closer to the originals than FO3 is.  You'll enjoy that when you get around to it, but play yourself out on FO3 first, as it is hard to go back.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on April 04, 2011, 01:35:45 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2011, 11:05:40 PM

Installing...

This has to be played in MP. In an objective-based mode, the Havana map is excellent for camping with an M14. Yes, even unscoped M14 is much better than any sniper rifle, thanks to no recoil. :rolleyes:

How odd, recoil was one of the main reasons it was replaced.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tamas

well it has some recoil in the game, but the thing is that even if you miss, you do not lose track of the target and you can fire rapidly, whereas with sniper rifles, the zoom you get while aiming is too big for basically all maps, to begin with. Then there is the huge recoil for the ones with decent damage, plus those have attrocious semi-automatic reload times. Fuck that.

Still, it is a fun MP game.

Razgovory

I think the Army still uses the M-14 in a sharpshooting role.

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on April 04, 2011, 06:51:23 AM
Quote from: sbr on April 03, 2011, 07:30:42 PM
Make sure you play with Fallout Wanderer's Edition when you decide to go with mods.  It makes the game much harder and tactics more decisive.

Yep I was planning on using that.  I bookmarked this post by you from 18 months ago.

Quote from: grumbler on November 26, 2009, 08:31:04 AM
I play with Fallout Wanderer's Edition (the latest one has AS-R and Bullet Time incorporated), Mart's mutant Mod, FOOK2, Calibr, Weapon Mod Kits, and Craft.  These are the big mods, and all work together if you use the Fallout Interoperability Project and the FOOK-FWE intergration patch.

I'd also recommend DC Interiors, FallIn, and the other handful of interiors projects, as well as Ling's Pretty Things/Finer Things (which incorporates the better clothing mods out there and re-textures all the NPCs so they are less generic).  Naturally, you will want to use the Type 3 or Type 5 body (which are pretty much interchangable as far as the clothing mods are concerned).

Anything new to add to that?

QuoteI have played the first Fallout for only a couple of hours in the past but haven't really gotten anywhere with it and have never played FO2 so I can't compare it to the originals.
New Vegas is closer to the originals than FO3 is.  You'll enjoy that when you get around to it, but play yourself out on FO3 first, as it is hard to go back.

I have had a lot of people tell me to quit with FO3 and go straight to NV.  I won't be getting NV until I can find it for 50% off or better so it won't be anytime soon but I will definitely be getting it.

Zeus

Anyone play League of Legends? o.o Fans of DotA might like it.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

grumbler

Quote from: sbr on April 04, 2011, 06:14:11 PM
Yep I was planning on using that.  I bookmarked this post by you from 18 months ago.

Quote from: grumbler on November 26, 2009, 08:31:04 AM
I play with Fallout Wanderer's Edition (the latest one has AS-R and Bullet Time incorporated), Mart's mutant Mod, FOOK2, Calibr, Weapon Mod Kits, and Craft.  These are the big mods, and all work together if you use the Fallout Interoperability Project and the FOOK-FWE intergration patch.

I'd also recommend DC Interiors, FallIn, and the other handful of interiors projects, as well as Ling's Pretty Things/Finer Things (which incorporates the better clothing mods out there and re-textures all the NPCs so they are less generic).  Naturally, you will want to use the Type 3 or Type 5 body (which are pretty much interchangable as far as the clothing mods are concerned).

Anything new to add to that?
Not much.  I'd drop FOOK (the extra WW2-era guns just detract from the ambiance) and add Freeway Fort to give yourself a cool but somewhat canon-like home.  There are a bunch of quest mods now.  I'd especially recommend those by Puce Moose (there are four, IIRC), the Quest for Heaven quests, and the mothership zeta crew mod.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

I got HOARD from Steam for $9. It's actually a lot of fun. You play a dragon, and you basically wreak things to collect gold, kidnap princesses, and fuck over the other dragons.

The game rounds feel kind of short sometimes, though. Often by the end things are really fun - high value targets everywhere, tons of knights, heros and archers, the giant is stomping around and the wizard towers are shooting at you - and then suddenly it ends and your score is tallied.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

So here is the deal: after the original main developer went to save Elemental, the remaining team managed to salvage Civilization V. Buildings retooled and rebalanced, social policies made more balanced and meaningful.
I am having fun with the game. The military AI is still nothing great, but I am fine with that as it allows me to work with a unit density I am willing to tolerate. The one-unit-per-hex limit resulted in a very nice WW1 tech era WW1-style war in my last game, when my Egyptians had a narrow border with the Iroquios, with seas bordering it. The AI did try some lackluster invasions to flank me, but they only had cannons while I had artillery, and the 3-hex range of that vaporized their attemps.

So anyway, the question is MP stability now, because mechanics-wise the game is ready.