News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on February 13, 2010, 02:38:10 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 11, 2010, 06:26:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 11, 2010, 01:13:17 PM
Played a little Bioshock 2 last night.  I was pretty convinced I wouldn't like it as much as the first one, since I wanted a prequel rather than a sequel, and didn't have much interest in playing an entire game as a big daddy, but so far it's a solid game.

I got though I'm not sure why.  It didn't seem like a game that needed a sequel.  The first one was cautionary tale of why we should not only throw libertarians into the ocean but shoot them before hand.  Now it seems to lack that interesting part of the story.  The game play is almost exactly the same as the previous one.  Also in the first game the city had only gone to hell about one year ago, so while it was pretty beat up it made sense that some stuff worked and some people lived.  Now it's almost ten years later and the lights are still on and there's still cans of beans everywhere.  I admit I haven't gotten to far so maybe they'll explain that as well.

Yeah it sounds silly. And kinda boring to go to the same place.

I just couldn't get interested in it.  I tried to play through it, but kept getting bored.  The first game wasn't exactly original (System shock under water) but this feels identical to the first one, and toward the end the first one was starting to get dull.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

I'm trying out the Ironclads demo. I noticed the game is down to 10 bucks, which is the max I'll pay for a Russian made game.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DisturbedPervert

I'm not playing the Starcraft 2 Beta which just came out today.  I never registered my War3 on their website and now I can't find my cd keys, so I can't apply for a chance to be in the beta.   :grr:

Hopefully a private beta server comes out like last time so I can play that until the official release.

The Brain

Shadowgrounds: Survivor

Totally OK (so far) budget game.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Thunder Force V: Perfect System.

Lot of plot depth for a scrolling shooter. :)
Experience bij!

DisturbedPervert

Starcraft 2 Beta :menace:

Someone wrote an AI so you can play single player against the computer.  It's pretty good too, it kicked my ass at first. But multiplayer on Battlenet is where the real fun will be.  Game runs good even on my three year old notebook.  Can't wait for the release.

Razgovory

Is it any good?

I've been playing Grand theft Auto 4, which involves taking irritating people out to dinner and bowling and to play darts.  Which is about as much fun as it sounds.  Occasionally I get to kill some irritating people which is nicer but I'm getting tired of driving through a gigantic city to get from one place or another.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

BuddhaRhubarb

Playing D&D 3.5 on Friday coming up, my usual group, new module of some kind. The DM has some ready made chars on hand. I'm gonna go Tank, likely. It's my strength as a player.

grabbed a sweet deal on a 3,5 book "the Complete Divine" for 5 bucks at a local thrift store  yesterday. Going to utilize that in the campaign idea I've been brewing for awhile, The Pirate thing, that I had a thread about.

Also playing Mutants and Masterminds on Sunday. It's a :nerd: tastic weekend. I'm getting kinda bored with my TK based hereo in that game too, thinking of going for some kind of Ben Grimm analog when we finish our current arc.
:p

Syt

Finally ordered HPS' Renaissance: Pike & Musket about 16th century battles this week (along with some of their Napoleon games; used to have some of the old Talonsoft Battleground games).

Otherwise playing a bit of OOTP while watching spring training.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 03, 2010, 12:40:26 PM
Playing D&D 3.5 on Friday coming up, my usual group, new module of some kind. The DM has some ready made chars on hand. I'm gonna go Tank, likely. It's my strength as a player.

grabbed a sweet deal on a 3,5 book "the Complete Divine" for 5 bucks at a local thrift store  yesterday. Going to utilize that in the campaign idea I've been brewing for awhile, The Pirate thing, that I had a thread about.

Also playing Mutants and Masterminds on Sunday. It's a :nerd: tastic weekend. I'm getting kinda bored with my TK based hereo in that game too, thinking of going for some kind of Ben Grimm analog when we finish our current arc.

So does anyone actually play 4th edition?

Syt

Oh, we'll have another Firefly RP session on saturday btw.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

I resumed WitP AE for a bit.  I must say, as the game has developed (I'm now at the end of May 1942) I have been more impressed with the AI.  It uses cruisers pretty aggressively for commerce raiding, so as the US I had to put the Oz navy plus HMS Warspite (intercepted on its way back to Inida from its Seattle overhaul) to protecting the Townsville-Port Moresby convoy route.  In a series of ding-dong battles most of the RAN has been wiped out, in exchange for 3 large IJN CAs sunk and a couple damaged.  Warspite ended the exchange as king of the hill, docked at PM.  PBYs spotted two IJN BBs approaching from the south, so Warspite withdrew to Horn Island in the eTorres Strait and then, because Horn I lacked the fuel to support it, it passed through the Strait en route to Darwin.  The IJN was not deterred - it chased Warspite all the way to Darwin and sank it with 3 BBs.  That was actually pretty cool.

The AI over-extended itself in that op, though.  Junyu and Hiryu were sent to trash the shipping off the Australian east coast as far south as Sydney, which they did.  Going so far took them out of the cover of Kido Butai, though, and I ambushed and sank both with Yorktown and Enterprise.

It will be interesting to see if the AI is well-enough programmed to understand that it cannot sustain these kinds of shoestring offensives.  When the US has as many front-line carriers as the Japanese (even acknowledging better Japanese pilots) the IJN needs to go carefully.  These little raids with a coupla carriers are way too risky.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!