News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

syk

Got The Witcher off Steam at christmas and I like it so far. The interface is suboptimal. So are the fights. Still an enjoyable game.

Syt

Quote from: syk on December 28, 2009, 04:56:13 PM
Got The Witcher off Steam at christmas and I like it so far. The interface is suboptimal. So are the fights. Still an enjoyable game.

The first two books are out in German. Read them.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

syk

Quote from: Syt on December 28, 2009, 11:32:23 PM

Will do. Your last recommendation was spot on. (Transmet)  :thumbsup:

derspiess

I think I'm developing a fetish for really bad FPS's.  I bought Darkest of Days for the 360 with some Gamestop credit I had.  Basically, you're this cavalry dude who is about to bite it at Little Bighorn, but are saved at the last minute by a time traveler, who recruits you to drop in & out of pivotal battles to save certain individuals who need to live in order to preserve their impact on history.

So far I've been sent to Antietam where I start out with a rifled musket & later on end up with an assault rifle I used to hilariously mow down Confederate infantry.  But you really don't even need that, or a musket.  I was able to run around the battlefield & kill enemies with my bare hands (sometimes with just one punch). 

Then they put me in World War I, but oddly enough on the East Front rather than the Western front-- as a Russian Soldier at Tannenberg.  I swear, the "Germans" are speaking Dutch, though one of the voice cues sounds oddly like the Swedish Chef.

It's a really bad game, and I probably won't play it again after I finish it, but I'm getting some morbid enjoyment out of it.  One of the more entertaining aspects are the Xbox Achievements-- you get 100G for punching a horse in the face & killing it (which is of course called "The Horse Puncher"), and you get 25G each for drowning or killing yourself with a grenade.

Weapons are startlingly accurate at long range, to the point where you can take out two guys by aiming at the empty space in between them :lol:

Scenery can be pretty nice at times, but texture & detail is pretty bad-- comparable to previous gen console graphics.

It's almost as stupid a game as Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, which is another game to play if you want something to laugh at.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I played the demo.  You did get to kill Confederates with a machine gun which is admittedly pretty cool.  I remember Tim going on about that Turning point game.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 29, 2009, 04:40:40 PM
I played the demo.  You did get to kill Confederates with a machine gun which is admittedly pretty cool.  I remember Tim going on about that Turning point game.

I say if you find it in the bargain bin for $4.99, play it for shits & gigs.  Same for Turning Point, I guess, since in that game you get to kill a Kraut by giving him a swirlie.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: syk on December 28, 2009, 11:35:03 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 28, 2009, 11:32:23 PM

Will do. Your last recommendation was spot on. (Transmet)  :thumbsup:

If you like zombies, you might also want to check out the comic series "The Walking Dead".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

ulmont

The Witcher books were pretty bad in English.

Caliga

I've been playing the Witcher for the past few days and I have to say I really enjoy it.

Moreso than Dragon Age, actually. :o
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Seen

Caliga

Seen

Quote from: Caliga on December 30, 2009, 08:23:48 PM
Quote from: Seen on December 30, 2009, 06:12:51 PM
That will fade soon enough.
Explain why.
The battles get repetitive fast. Even more annoying was that I felt more like an errand boy, more so than in other rpg and while the story is compelling, for me it wasnt enough to go on after a certain point.

But as I mentioned here a page or 2 back, if I find a save of around the time I stopped playing I would try again  :D

syk

Quote from: Seen on December 31, 2009, 04:00:08 AM
Quote from: Caliga on December 30, 2009, 08:23:48 PM
Quote from: Seen on December 30, 2009, 06:12:51 PM
That will fade soon enough.
Explain why.
The battles get repetitive fast. Even more annoying was that I felt more like an errand boy, more so than in other rpg and while the story is compelling, for me it wasnt enough to go on after a certain point.

But as I mentioned here a page or 2 back, if I find a save of around the time I stopped playing I would try again  :D
Hm, funny. I found the battles to become more enjoyable over time. I believe that's because I had to switch styles in a several fights to get through them at all. Combined with those sign thingies they aren't as bad as I thought they would be.

Caliga

The one knockback sign makes battles a joke.  I killed The Beast from chapter 1 with a knockback stun followed by a one hit kill.  Same deal with the cockatrice.

Grey Fox

Champions Online Free Trial. The Full game is 10$ on Steam until January 3rd.

It's pretty nice, it is CoH 2.0 tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.