News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

What is Episode 1? Is that the cliffs thing?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on October 28, 2009, 10:09:17 AM
Well, I finally finished Half-Life 2. A great game, but the ending was rather anti-climatic. Easy, even. I had no idea it was actually the end of the game, that is how not-ending like it seemed. I was surprised when the credits started rolling.

Still getting my ass kicked at Civ4.
I just couldn't get into HL2.  I didn't feel like I was making any decisions, other than how to figure out how to avoid getting killed in each successive little trick situation (and some of the answers were absurd, like "climb on the roof and try to open windows, getting killed each time you chose incorrectly, until you find the one window in the entire fucking building that opens").

I don't mind games that allow the player character to die if poor decisions are made, but ones that repeatedly kill the PC until they figure out the obscure way of getting out of each ambush bore me to tears.  In HL2 I don't think I made it much past the point where you get your suit.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Not sure what you mean by the cliffs thing.  The opening area had a lot of cliffs to be climbed up, if that's what you meant, then it eventually lead to a train-yard area with the characters trying to hijack one and escape.

It was neat, but, again, lead to nothing.  You should already have both Episode 1 and 2 if you bought The Orange Box a while back.

They're both incredibly short, so it wouldn't take you long to play.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

It is a shooter - the fun is in the shooting.

I actually find too many "puzzles" in a shooter annoying. If I want to do a puzzle game, you can't beat something like Portal, where they just ditch the shooting altogether, which was a great idea.

Running around trying to figure out which tunnel I should go through is, like you said, not fun.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Torchlight. Action RPG made by Runic games formed by the survivor of the Flagship studio disaster who had designed D1 & D2.

http://torchlight.perfectworld.com/
www.torchlightgame.com

It's only 20$, well worth the investment.

Also, avalaible at GG, Steam & D2D.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on October 28, 2009, 10:32:22 AM

I actually find too many "puzzles" in a shooter annoying. If I want to do a puzzle game, you can't beat something like Portal, where they just ditch the shooting altogether, which was a great idea.

Running around trying to figure out which tunnel I should go through is, like you said, not fun.
I agree.  It isn't the shooter element I objected to, it was the lack of plot in terms of what one was supposed to do.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

I'm not a fan of shooters where ammo is a problem.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on October 28, 2009, 10:47:39 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 28, 2009, 10:32:22 AM

I agree.  It isn't the shooter element I objected to, it was the lack of plot in terms of what one was supposed to do.

That is a good point - I think one of the reasons I was so surprised at the ending, is that there was never any sense of an overall story, which I kept thinking would come together at some point.

The game culminates in you killing the human rep for the Combine...but you enver get the idea that that is the point of all the things you did before that.

Kind of feels like they spent a lot of time and money making this incredible engine, then kind of threw a "story" together at the last minute to drag you throught that engine.

However, some of the shooter parts where a freaking blast. Driving around on the airboat and the dirt buggy was fun, and some of the environments, like the bridge, were really great.

0 rows returned

Scipio

I'm playing "wait until Dragon Age ships"
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on October 28, 2009, 10:26:13 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 28, 2009, 10:09:17 AM
Well, I finally finished Half-Life 2. A great game, but the ending was rather anti-climatic. Easy, even. I had no idea it was actually the end of the game, that is how not-ending like it seemed. I was surprised when the credits started rolling.

Still getting my ass kicked at Civ4.
I just couldn't get into HL2.  I didn't feel like I was making any decisions, other than how to figure out how to avoid getting killed in each successive little trick situation (and some of the answers were absurd, like "climb on the roof and try to open windows, getting killed each time you chose incorrectly, until you find the one window in the entire fucking building that opens").

I don't mind games that allow the player character to die if poor decisions are made, but ones that repeatedly kill the PC until they figure out the obscure way of getting out of each ambush bore me to tears.  In HL2 I don't think I made it much past the point where you get your suit.

I never had that problem.  I played through that game several times and I don't recall any windows that open.  Really did like the whole Eastern Bloc theme though.  Complete with Swaggering ZOMO types and soviet era apartments.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

:huh: I thought HL2 was set in Detroit?

Winkelried

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on October 28, 2009, 01:35:49 PM
:huh: I thought HL2 was set in Detroit?
Nah, way too cheery to be Detroit.  Definitely Stalinist Russia or Orwell's variant thereof.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Played the Torchlight demo. Seems nice. How long is the game?