Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americans

Started by jimmy olsen, February 05, 2013, 12:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 11, 2013, 01:36:50 PM
It's a significant result, among other things it allows the government to use results from overseas wiretaps that probably wouldn't pass muster here.

I agree.  It's a fascinating example of the USSC using languish-style nitpicking to determine that "the people" have an entirely different set of right than do "persons."  The USSC majority got the result they wanted, no matter how objectively silly their argument was.

Of course, the rights in the case of drone strikes are those of "persons" and not "the people," so it isn't clear how the precedent of US v. Verdugo-Urquidez would be applied.  On the face of it, it would seem that everyone, US citizen or not, is a "person" who cannot be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process.  If we apply the spirit of US v V-U, though, the ruling would be that the constitution means whatever the executive wants it to mean.  :lol:

QuoteThe Insular Cases ...
I am familiar with those others and agree that they are not really applicable.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Why is any of this related to drones per se?

Are the rules for killing somenoe with a missile from a drone somehow different from the rules for killing someone with a missile from a manned fighter, or a Tomahawk, or even a sniper?

I don't understand why we need a set of drone-specific rules - surely the legal justifications for the use of deadly force in whatever circumstances (war or peace, citizen/non-citizens, etc., etc) do not hinge on how the instrument of that force is delivered?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on February 12, 2013, 12:28:11 PM
Why is any of this related to drones per se?

Are the rules for killing somenoe with a missile from a drone somehow different from the rules for killing someone with a missile from a manned fighter, or a Tomahawk, or even a sniper?

I don't understand why we need a set of drone-specific rules - surely the legal justifications for the use of deadly force in whatever circumstances (war or peace, citizen/non-citizens, etc., etc) do not hinge on how the instrument of that force is delivered?

Drones are scary.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: grumbler on February 12, 2013, 07:19:52 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 11, 2013, 01:36:50 PM
It's a significant result, among other things it allows the government to use results from overseas wiretaps that probably wouldn't pass muster here.

I agree.  It's a fascinating example of the USSC using languish-style nitpicking to determine that "the people" have an entirely different set of right than do "persons."  The USSC majority got the result they wanted, no matter how objectively silly their argument was.

Of course, the rights in the case of drone strikes are those of "persons" and not "the people," so it isn't clear how the precedent of US v. Verdugo-Urquidez would be applied.  On the face of it, it would seem that everyone, US citizen or not, is a "person" who cannot be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process.  If we apply the spirit of US v V-U, though, the ruling would be that the constitution means whatever the executive wants it to mean.  :lol:

Had there actually been a DoW, I'd argue that Congress voting for war constituted due process. 

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

Drones are being used in ways that, if the payload was delivered from a fighter or a warship into the areas they have been, there would probably be at least a few bigger media/diplomatic/political incidents than we've had.  For some reason they are avoiding those consequences for now, but I think that will change in the future.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: dps on February 12, 2013, 01:19:02 PM
Had there actually been a DoW, I'd argue that Congress voting for war constituted due process.

There was the AUMF, but that isn't as broad as some seem to assume.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

I can't bring myself to get very worked up about the targeting of terrorists by drones or any other similar means. Is the collateral damage from drone strikes higher than the collateral damage from, say, rockets fired from manned fighters?

Nitpicking over whether the terrorist is a US citizen or not seems to me a strange distinction; if someone's gone overseas in order to plan to blow up a building as a political act against the USA, surely they've renounced their US citizenship if spirit if not in writing, haven't they?
and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Quote from: fahdiz on February 12, 2013, 03:35:59 PM
I can't bring myself to get very worked up about the targeting of terrorists by drones or any other similar means. Is the collateral damage from drone strikes higher than the collateral damage from, say, rockets fired from manned fighters?

I am just concerned about establishing the standard acceptable international procedures in using these things.  Sure we are using to target bad bad people but very shortly every country will have these things and we are basically announcing it is perfectly fine and legal to take out anybody you consider a threat anywhere in the world.  Like all really really bad ideas they are done for what at the time seemed like a reasonable expedient.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fhdz

Quote from: Valmy on February 12, 2013, 03:38:00 PM
I am just concerned about establishing the standard acceptable international procedures in using these things.  Sure we are using to target bad bad people but very shortly every country will have these things and we are basically announcing it is perfectly fine and legal to take out anybody you consider a threat anywhere in the world.  Like all really really bad ideas they are done for what at the time seemed like a reasonable expedient.

You're worried about setting precedent rather than whether the threat is a US citizen or not. That makes sense.

Valmy

Quote from: fahdiz on February 12, 2013, 03:42:01 PM
You're worried about setting precedent rather than whether the threat is a US citizen or not. That makes sense.

Well the Bill of Rights makes no distinction as far as due process.  If the process involved works for non-citizens there is nothing constitutionally requiring the government to make another one for citizens so the damage there has already been done as far as precedents are concerned.  Besides if the rationalization is these guys are at war with the US last I checked being a US citizen did not do much if you were considered a belligerent against the US.

My deal is that I question whether all these dangerous precedents and disregard for implications were even necessary in the first place, if there might have been a way to deal with these guys that would be less problematic in the long term.  I think that is everybody's concern, who care about this sort of thing.  Not that they are wanting to offer warm fuzzies to terrorists like we often get lampooned.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fhdz

Are these drone strikes considered assassinations? Serious question.