Alabama Kidnapper Threatened to Kill Schoolchildren

Started by garbon, February 04, 2013, 11:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on February 04, 2013, 12:50:38 PM
That's why I said once they determine if the entrance is booby-trapped. I couldn't imagine the authorities trying anything like that unless they know that they can get in quickly and easily. Since it may be impossible for them to figure out if it's possible, then like you say, it's probably not an option.

You don't know how long it will take to get through a barricade until you get through it.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 04, 2013, 01:07:27 PM
Quote from: merithyn on February 04, 2013, 12:50:38 PM
That's why I said once they determine if the entrance is booby-trapped. I couldn't imagine the authorities trying anything like that unless they know that they can get in quickly and easily. Since it may be impossible for them to figure out if it's possible, then like you say, it's probably not an option.

You don't know how long it will take to get through a barricade until you get through it.

Makes sense.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

So is the media showing an almost unheard of level of restraint on this story in order to avoid inflaming the kidnapper, or is there some other reason this story isn't attracting monster levels of media attention?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2013, 01:24:44 PM
So is the media showing an almost unheard of level of restraint on this story in order to avoid inflaming the kidnapper, or is there some other reason this story isn't attracting monster levels of media attention?
The media desperately wants the kid dead.  You can get way more attention by saying that the authorities did everything wrong and saying 'Is your child in danger?' than you could with a happy story about the kid getting out alive.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Police said that they believe the guy is monitoring the media, so they are taking efforts to not publicize anything they don't want him to hear.  I assume they also convinced the media to do likewise, if that didn't occur to them first.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on February 04, 2013, 01:47:04 PM
Police said that they believe the guy is monitoring the media, so they are taking efforts to not publicize anything they don't want him to hear.  I assume they also convinced the media to do likewise, if that didn't occur to them first.

Well good on them, then.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

citizen k

DGuller

jimmy olsen

Good job by the FBI

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/04/16836632-alabama-hostage-boy-safe-kidnapper-dead?lite
QuoteUpdated at 5:45 p.m. ET: A 5-year-old boy held captive for seven days in an underground bunker in southern Alabama is alive and his kidnapper is dead, Special Agent in Charge Stephen Richardson said at a press briefing on Monday afternoon.

Richardson, of the Mobile, Ala. FBI office, said the situation had deteriorated in the 24 hours and that the kidnapper, 65-year-old Jimmy Lee Dykes, appeared to have a gun.

"Within the past 24 hours negotiations deteriorated and Mr. Dykes was observed holding a gun," Richardson said in a brief statement. "At this point, FBI agents, fearing the child was in imminent danger, entered the bunker and rescued the child."

The child was recovered at 3:12 p.m. CT and appears physically unharmed, Richardson said. He is being treated at a local hospital.

The Dothan Eagle newspaper reported hearing two loud bangs from the scene shortly before 3:30 p.m. According to the report, an ambulance then drove up the private dirt road where Dykes' homes is located and then left a short time later.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 04, 2013, 05:58:42 PM
Good job by the FBI

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/04/16836632-alabama-hostage-boy-safe-kidnapper-dead?lite
QuoteUpdated at 5:45 p.m. ET: A 5-year-old boy held captive for seven days in an underground bunker in southern Alabama is alive and his kidnapper is dead, Special Agent in Charge Stephen Richardson said at a press briefing on Monday afternoon.

Richardson, of the Mobile, Ala. FBI office, said the situation had deteriorated in the 24 hours and that the kidnapper, 65-year-old Jimmy Lee Dykes, appeared to have a gun.

"Within the past 24 hours negotiations deteriorated and Mr. Dykes was observed holding a gun," Richardson said in a brief statement. "At this point, FBI agents, fearing the child was in imminent danger, entered the bunker and rescued the child."

The child was recovered at 3:12 p.m. CT and appears physically unharmed, Richardson said. He is being treated at a local hospital.

The Dothan Eagle newspaper reported hearing two loud bangs from the scene shortly before 3:30 p.m. According to the report, an ambulance then drove up the private dirt road where Dykes' homes is located and then left a short time later.

Fuck!  What were they doing with a contingency plan to enter the bunker if the negotiations failed?   They are watching too fucking much TV!  They were supposed to be professionals, like CdM described, and have their thumbs up their asses if their primary plan failed.

The fact that DGuller was dead right and Seedy dead wrong is all the fault of the FBI.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Actually CdM simply said you do not always have a contingency plan, he didn't say there was no contingency plan in this scenario. What he said was you wouldn't have a contingency plan if someone was in a reinforced underground bunker that couldn't easily be breached. I've seen no pictures or descriptions of this bunker. It could have had a door that any tactical team could blow through in seconds, or he could have rigged something that collapsed large amounts of earth over the entrance after going inside and the only real access would have been a long digging operation. He could have piled a half ton of sand bags behind the door, he could have piled a half ton of sand bags in front of the door and been monitoring the entrance. In those scenarios there's no way you get in without him knowing well in advance, and that means dead kid--and in such a scenario CdM is pretty much right. You may not have any contingency plan.

lustindarkness

QuoteOfficials had been able to insert a high-tech camera into the bunker to monitor the movements of the suspect, Richard Lee Dykes, and they had become increasingly concerned that he might act out, according to a law enforcement source with direct knowledge.

"FBI agents safely recovered the child who's been held hostage for nearly a week," FBI Special Agent Steve Richardson said at a news conference.

The agent said negotiations with Dykes "deteriorated" in the past 24 hours.

"Mr. Dykes was observed holding a gun," Richardson said. "At this point, the FBI agents, fearing the child was in imminent danger, entered the bunker and rescued the child."
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive