Icelandic girl wins right to use her given name

Started by katmai, January 31, 2013, 10:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2013, 03:24:44 AM
How was "Bjork" feminine enough when "Blaer" wasn't?  :huh:

Björk is traditional while Blær isn't.

Björk is the icelandic name for the birch tree. I think pretty much all trees (except for the ash) are feminine. Ash and Elm are the norse equivalents of Adam and Eve. So while Eve might be the rib woman in judaism, in asatru the man is the woodman.

I've never used Blær in a sentence or ever heard it used so I don't know if it is feminine at all... though I'm leaning towards masculine, though that might just be because storm and wind are masculine. Iceland has birch trees but the wind never dies down enough to have a breeze.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Blaer does sound rather like one of those modern American girls names to my ears at least. But then you furriners are funny.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  On the one hand, it bothers me that the government is trying to regulate what people name their kids.  On the other, there are certainly disturbed people out there who give their kids offensive names and the state has an certain degree of obligation to protect people from the inevitable abuse that'll come out of that.

For example, there was a case in New Jersey a few years back where these morons actually named their son Adolf Hitler.  I forget what the outcome of that was but it's a good illustration of the fact that sometimes government has to protect people from themselves (or their parents, I guess).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on February 01, 2013, 08:24:04 AM
Blaer does sound rather like one of those modern American girls names to my ears at least. But then you furriners are funny.

Ed Anger

And they say I find the worst pictures of chicks......
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 01, 2013, 08:36:06 AM
And they say I find the worst pictures of chicks......
I have no vested interest in trying to make Lisa Whelchel look hot. :)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on February 01, 2013, 08:24:04 AM

the "æ" is prononuced just like the english personal pronoun "I" and the r is rolled... so pronounciation would be light

"Bligh" - rrrrrrr

as in the captain of the bounty and make a rolling r sound after the captains name.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Caliga

So in other words, it sounds like someone from Alabama pronouncing 'Blair'. :)

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on February 01, 2013, 08:49:42 AM
So in other words, it sounds like someone from Alabama pronouncing 'Blair'. :)

given that we have 14 different vowel sounds in icelandic, no it doesn't, but since Alabama (and new zealand) only have 1 then, yes it does.

sbr

The Brain

I have a lot more than 14 different bowel sounds.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Was Tootied the black one or the one with a face like an ass?