Job Applicants' Cultural Fit Can Trump Qualifications

Started by MadImmortalMan, January 30, 2013, 06:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2013, 03:57:49 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2013, 11:01:57 AM
So basically act as though you aren't a person? Inevitably those things are going to come through.

Do you normally say you are gay at your job interview?

Nope but then I generally don't say that in my day-to-day life either. Irrelevant for most people I come in contact with.

So would you ding someone for wearing a wedding ring to an interview?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 01, 2013, 06:22:06 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2013, 03:57:49 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2013, 11:01:57 AM
So basically act as though you aren't a person? Inevitably those things are going to come through.

Do you normally say you are gay at your job interview?

Nope but then I generally don't say that in my day-to-day life either. Irrelevant for most people I come in contact with.

So would you ding someone for wearing a wedding ring to an interview?

No, but for talking about their kids? Yes.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2013, 03:55:49 AM
And to be honest I don't really get the connection why not putting a condom on and/or being a heterosexual means you are responsible, dependable and devoted.  :huh:

The idea is that if you have others depending on you for their financial support, you're less likely to quit your job on a whim or do things that would result in being fired.  While I don't really subscribe to that view, it's not an unreasonable assumption that someone with more than just their own immediate desires to consider would be more responsible.  It's probably true to a limited extent, but IMO how responsible someone is is more a matter of individual differences.

The Brain

Heterosexual employees can be asked to bring dates to various functions. Shareholder value.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

And to be honest I don't really get the connection why not putting a condom on and/or being a heterosexual means you are responsible, dependable and devoted.  :huh:

No it is the raising of the kids that indicates that and the things dps said.  The guy who has 29 kids with 27 women should probably NOT mention that in his job interview.  I mean use common sense here Marty.

Stats show there is a correlation, at least for men, but as we know correlation not causation etc.  There is a gay dude in my office who is raising his nieces and has a partner I have to say that is one responsible, dependable and devoted guy.  I am unaware if he has used condoms though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Have you ever known a gay who was responsible, dependable or devoted?

One should never, ever hire a gay.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Quote from: dps on February 01, 2013, 10:58:34 AM

The idea is that if you have others depending on you for their financial support, you're less likely to quit your job on a whim or do things that would result in being fired.  While I don't really subscribe to that view, it's not an unreasonable assumption that someone with more than just their own immediate desires to consider would be more responsible.  It's probably true to a limited extent, but IMO how responsible someone is is more a matter of individual differences.

I remember when I started out in Malthus' firm one junior associate had just bought a new house.  Someone, in a tone meant to imply they were joking but they really weren't, said that the partners will love to hear that as it means she was much less likely to ever leave the firm.  She wouldn't be able to afford the mortgage otherwise.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2013, 11:54:27 AM
I remember when I started out in Malthus' firm one junior associate had just bought a new house.  Someone, in a tone meant to imply they were joking but they really weren't, said that the partners will love to hear that as it means she was much less likely to ever leave the firm.  She wouldn't be able to afford the mortgage otherwise.

One of the oldest dirty tricks of management was to encourage employees to get married and start famillies and buy homes.  Then they knew they had them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2013, 11:56:21 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2013, 11:54:27 AM

One of the oldest dirty tricks of management was to encourage employees to get married and start famillies and buy homes.  Then they knew they had them.

Yup. All too true.

Without major life committments and big bills to pay, it is all to easy for associates to say "fuck this crap, I'm going to be an artist or a writer/volunteer for charity work in the Third world/devote my life to a good cause here at home".

Law work (for example) tends to be non-stop stress and many do not love that, and would not do it except that they need the cash. Yet it takes years to develop a good associate to the point where they are earning money. So firms want to know they are likely to stick around.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Today I was talking to my boss about Dawid, my new flat and my mortgage. I always get nervous when she asks about my mortgage.  :ph34r:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on February 01, 2013, 03:52:39 PM
Today I was talking to my boss about Dawid, my new flat and my mortgage. I always get nervous when she asks about my mortgage.  :ph34r:

I thought you were suppose to be rich.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017