Florida man accused of fraud after taking wife's name

Started by garbon, January 29, 2013, 08:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 30, 2013, 04:10:35 PM
There's no such thing as a dealbreaker. Just symptoms. Too many reveals a problem. One or two is probably no big deal.

Stealing my identity to get credit turned out to be a deal breaker for me.  No I did not wait around to find the second problem :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Camerus

Quote from: merithyn on January 30, 2013, 09:19:26 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on January 30, 2013, 12:47:10 AM

FWIW, I could never see myself agreeing to take my wife's name.

Why not?

Firstly, I like my family and my family name, and there's no reason to change it. 

Secondly, although I know it will ruffle some feathers, I'd lose some of my self-respect if I took on my (imaginary) wife's name.  Maybe I've just been brain-washed by the patriarchy and whatnaught, but in my cultural background, doing that would imply a serious lack of balls.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2013, 01:26:26 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 30, 2013, 01:16:09 PM
Any problem with Spanish namings customs? :P

It's a bit excessive.  And confusing.

Heh. I have an extremely rare surname, but like Valmy says there are others that are very common (García, Martín, González, López ...). Using both surnames makes confusing two people pretty much impossible.

derspiess

Okay, I guess I can accept that for Spain.  In Argentina though there's a lot more variety in surnames.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2013, 04:36:47 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 30, 2013, 04:33:03 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 30, 2013, 04:14:35 PM
There's no such thing as a dealbreaker.

Oh, I think if one party wants kids and the other doesn't, that would qualify. Or if they're set on living in different countries.

Sometimes people change their mind about those things later, even if they agreed in the beginning. Especially the having kids one. If you don't want to scuttle the relationship you have to deal with it. Sometimes give in, sometimes talk it out, whatever. Otherwise, you've invested twenty years of your life into a failed relationship just because one of you got baby rabies? Not worth it.

That perspective seems odd. After all, those 20 good years suddenly don't count for anything if you decide to end it? :unsure:

Except that it's usually more like 10 good years followed by 10 years of increasing shit.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2013, 04:40:58 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 30, 2013, 04:39:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2013, 04:36:47 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 30, 2013, 04:33:03 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 30, 2013, 04:14:35 PM
There's no such thing as a dealbreaker.

Oh, I think if one party wants kids and the other doesn't, that would qualify. Or if they're set on living in different countries.

Sometimes people change their mind about those things later, even if they agreed in the beginning. Especially the having kids one. If you don't want to scuttle the relationship you have to deal with it. Sometimes give in, sometimes talk it out, whatever. Otherwise, you've invested twenty years of your life into a failed relationship just because one of you got baby rabies? Not worth it.

That perspective seems odd. After all, those 20 good years suddenly don't count for anything if you decide to end it? :unsure:

Those are sunk costs, so shouldn't have any impact on your decision to go with the expansions.

That's kind of what I'm saying and counter to what MiM is saying.

I'm agreeing with you and channelling Grumbler at the same time.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

What happened to grumbler anyway? Has he mellowed out in his old age and no longer roams the internet seeking arguments? Or has he just found a new forum with unsuspecting prey?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on January 30, 2013, 08:30:51 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2013, 01:26:26 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 30, 2013, 01:16:09 PM
Any problem with Spanish namings customs? :P

It's a bit excessive.  And confusing.

Heh. I have an extremely rare surname, but like Valmy says there are others that are very common (García, Martín, González, López ...). Using both surnames makes confusing two people pretty much impossible.

The funny thing is when people end up being recognized by their 2nd surname because the 1st one is pretty common.