Florida man accused of fraud after taking wife's name

Started by garbon, January 29, 2013, 08:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2013, 03:49:41 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 30, 2013, 03:47:28 PM
I used to have a pastor named Irby. What an odd name.

To me it doesn't look that horrible on paper.  But to hear it pronounced, particularly in Appalachia, it sounds very silly.

Its kind of cute if you pronounce it Herbie with a french accent.

derspiess

My best friend's wife's maiden name was Flippo.  Boy was she ever happy to get rid of that.  We used to (and I guess we still do) call her Flippers.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

I can understand insisting on it if you're more traditional or whatever. Just because I don't feel strongly about it doesn't mean it's not valid for other people. One example of it turning out bad isn't really a good way to draw a conclusion. If one partner feels strongly about it and the other doesn't, then it's not a big deal to concede either way. If both feel strongly about keeping their names, then maybe it's something to look at.

There's no such thing as a dealbreaker. Just symptoms. Too many reveals a problem. One or two is probably no big deal.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 30, 2013, 04:10:35 PM
There's no such thing as a dealbreaker.

Oh, I think if one party wants kids and the other doesn't, that would qualify. Or if they're set on living in different countries.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Lettow77

How can you say you love her if you won't eat her poop?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 30, 2013, 04:14:35 PM

Oh, I think if one party wants kids and the other doesn't, that would qualify. Or if they're set on living in different countries.

Sometimes people change their mind about those things later, even if they agreed in the beginning. Especially the having kids one. If you don't want to scuttle the relationship you have to deal with it. Sometimes give in, sometimes talk it out, whatever. Otherwise, you've invested twenty years of your life into a failed relationship just because one of you got baby rabies? Not worth it.

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 30, 2013, 04:33:03 PM
Sometimes people change their mind about those things later, even if they agreed in the beginning. Especially the having kids one. If you don't want to scuttle the relationship you have to deal with it. Sometimes give in, sometimes talk it out, whatever. Otherwise, you've invested twenty years of your life into a failed relationship just because one of you got baby rabies? Not worth it.

Once you're married, then I can see that. But there's no way I would have married a man who didn't want children on the off-chance that he might change his mind. Anymore than I would have married Jerry had I known that he was lying when he said that he would leave Chicago at some point.

There are some things that are important enough that the relationship isn't worth compromising for.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

That perspective seems odd. After all, those 20 good years suddenly don't count for anything if you decide to end it? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on January 30, 2013, 04:36:04 PM
There are some things that are important enough that the relationship isn't worth compromising for.

:yes: Like self-respect.

MadImmortalMan

I guess I'm just a conciliatory kind of guy.  :P

Abuse I would not put up with. So I guess there's not a complete lack of boundaries.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2013, 04:36:47 PM

That perspective seems odd. After all, those 20 good years suddenly don't count for anything if you decide to end it? :unsure:

Those are sunk costs, so shouldn't have any impact on your decision to go with the expansions.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on January 30, 2013, 04:39:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 30, 2013, 04:36:47 PM

Those are sunk costs, so shouldn't have any impact on your decision to go with the expansions.

That's kind of what I'm saying and counter to what MiM is saying.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 30, 2013, 04:39:26 PM
I guess I'm just a conciliatory kind of guy.  :P

Seems like if a person was against having kids - not sure it'd be good for them to keep the relationship and have kids.  (Not speaking about you but just in hypotheticals.)