Main Menu

Is the VW Super Bowl commercial racist?

Started by Syt, January 30, 2013, 03:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2013, 09:57:06 AM
She looks blacker than Blake Griffin.

My wife said something very unkind about him the other day :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 31, 2013, 09:51:35 AM
Robin Williams always got away with it somehow.

He is not the only one.  It is possible but tricky.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on January 31, 2013, 09:58:17 AM
My wife said something very unkind about him the other day :(

Slacks on defense?  Doesn't box out? :unsure:

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2013, 09:49:28 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 31, 2013, 09:46:50 AM
Why?

Because, as I said, if a white person does it it seems like White Supremacy more than simply making fun of how silly people are.  And since White Supremacism has been social problem #1 for centuries it tends to bring up strong emotions.

Ok but that's stupid. It's like saying that a heterosexual person cannot tell a gay joke because gays were discriminated against in the past.

I mean, I realize that these are the rules of political correctness, but I find it quite surprising and disappointing that you are attempting to rationalize them. They are stupid and based on a victimhood status some groups have attained.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 31, 2013, 09:48:13 AM
Quote"Why is it that Arabs are always shown as either oil-rich sheiks, terrorists, or belly dancers?" said Warren David, president of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, or ADC.

How is a Bedouin nomad any of those things?  And this is nonsense they are not always shown as one of those things, rather he has it backwards. Oil-rich sheiks, terrorists, and belly dancers are always Arabs.  Maybe we should mix in some central Asian and African terrorists...well actually we probably do do that.

QuoteThe ADC garnered attention back in 1992 when it complained that lyrics in the Walt Disney animated film "Aladdin" were racist.

Ironically a movie where all the human characters were arabs and not one was a Oil-rich sheik, terrorist, or a belly dancer.  Well ok maybe Jafar was a terrorist and some of the women were sorta dressed like belly dancers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 31, 2013, 10:03:56 AM
Ok but that's stupid. It's like saying that a heterosexual person cannot tell a gay joke because gays were discriminated against in the past.

For the most part they can't. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I mean, I realize that these are the rules of political correctness, but I find it quite surprising and disappointing that you are attempting to rationalize them. They are stupid and based on a victimhood status some groups have attained.

I am not justifying it, I am just explaining it.

CountDeMoney

They are stupid and based on a victimhood status some groups have attained.

Like the one you always claim, stuck in that little closet of yours?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2013, 10:11:07 AM

Only fag hags can do it, if I recall my heterophobe social protocol correctly.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2013, 09:17:12 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 31, 2013, 09:14:59 AM
She looks about a quarter black to me.  Maybe half.

She looks like a white chick that gets some sun.

If Rashida Jones and Jennifer Beals are part black, I could definitely see it with this chick too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

So every brunette has some Sally Hemmings in her.  Got it.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 31, 2013, 10:11:07 AM

Which is stupid, as well. There is only one aspect of a joke, parody, comedy etc. that should be subject to judgement - whether it is funny. Telling people they cannot tell some joke because of their race, gender or sexual orientation is discrimination at its vilest.

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen link=topic=9255.msg533663#msg533663
Anyways, to change ad topics, Arab-Americans are protesting a Coke ad is racist.

url="http://www.nbcnews.com/business/arab-american-groups-say-coke-super-bowl-ad-racist-1B8191874"]http://www.nbcnews.com/business/arab-american-groups-say-coke-super-bowl-ad-racist-1B8191874[/url]

Arab-American groups say Coke Super Bowl ad is racist

Arab-American groups have sharply criticized a Coca-Cola Super Bowl ad depicting an Arab walking through the desert with a camel, and one group said it would ask the beverage giant to change it before CBS airs the game on Sunday before an expected audience of more than 100 million U.S. viewers.

"Why is it that Arabs are always shown as either oil-rich sheiks, terrorists, or belly dancers?" said Warren David, president of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, or ADC.

Well, obviously, the solution is to ditch the camel, and show the Arab guy setting a timer on a roadside IED instead.

Tamas

It is boring that there must be a "controversy" about Superbowl commercials/performances. Doesn't that event have enough coverage on it's own? God damn.