News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

U.S. economy shrank the end of 2012

Started by Phillip V, January 30, 2013, 09:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

"The United States economy contracted unexpectedly in the final quarter of 2012... It marked the slowest rate of growth since the second quarter of 2009."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/business/economy/us-economy-unexpectedly-contracted-in-fourth-quarter.html

The Labor Department will release its monthly jobs report this Friday, so maybe that will provide more optimistic news. However, home sales dropped in December, and the Jan 1 increase in payroll taxes has caused grumbling among my acquaintances ranging from low-wage earners to the more affluent.

Faeelin

Huh. I guess the Republicans shouldn't have demanded we raise the payroll tax.

Valmy

The Republicans wanted taxes raised?  Well heck maybe they are prepared to make the tough choices after all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Funny that they held presidential elections *before* figures for the end of 2012 were known. Coincidence or just another day in Obama's America?  <_<

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 30, 2013, 09:41:14 AM
Funny that they held presidential elections *before* figures for the end of 2012 were known. Coincidence or just another day in Obama's America?  <_<

High Treason!  There will be rioting in the streets.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

QuoteThe 22.2 percent drop in military spending – the sharpest quarterly drop in more than four decades – along with the drop in inventories and exports overwhelmed more positive indicators in the private sector

The factors here are:
1. Sharp decline in military spending. 
2. Net exports fell possibly because of economic weakness in all of the major US trading partners.  The key sectors hit include food, feed, beverage, and civilian aircraft.  So the drought-plagued harvests and Boeing's recent difficulties may be impactin here.
3.  Inventories fell despite a strong increase in sales - that might suggest that businesses responded to the fiscal cliff fun and games by playing wait and see and drawing down on stocks.  Fixed investment was actually up quite a bit in quarter however so a more optimisitic view is that businesses are clearing out old invetories at the end of the year in anticipation of new capacity coming on line.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

So we're partway through the first quarter now. If it does it again, we'll be back in recession.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on January 30, 2013, 09:05:04 AM
Huh. I guess the Republicans shouldn't have demanded we raise the payroll tax.

:lol: Clearly it was the fair share paid by fat cats and millionaires that pushed us over the edge.

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 30, 2013, 11:30:09 AM
So we're partway through the first quarter now. If it does it again, we'll be back in recession.

Yeppers.  It probably won't, but people love throwing the word "recession" around so I doubt it will stop them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Meh, my economy shrank in the 2nd quarter of 2012.  I am:  US financial indicator.

crazy canuck

Ft. McMurray is looking for people.  One employer put it to me this way,  "If they can walk and dont drool much we will hire and train them".

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 30, 2013, 03:00:34 PM
Ft. McMurray is looking for people.  One employer put it to me this way,  "If they can walk and dont drool much we will hire and train them".

as long as they are willing to work 10 day shifts in remote work camps for 10-12 hours per day outside in the cold.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2013, 03:02:50 PM

as long as they are willing to work 10 day shifts in remote work camps for 10-12 hours per day outside in the cold.

and make more than 100k per year

Phillip V

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 30, 2013, 03:05:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2013, 03:02:50 PM

and make more than 100k per year
:)

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 30, 2013, 02:29:11 PM
Meh, my economy shrank in the 2nd quarter of 2012.  I am:  US financial indicator.

:x

TMI
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.