UK to Romanians and Bulgarians: Don't come here, it sucks.

Started by The Larch, January 29, 2013, 06:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Ed Anger

Or it is a nagging lecture from Spellus about ethnic backgrounds.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2013, 07:16:28 PM
They didn't include Hungary?  :huh:

London already has something like the 3rd or 4th largest Hungarian population among cities in the world, including Budapest.

Tamas

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on January 30, 2013, 05:25:59 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2013, 03:33:41 AM

What does it say?

"Don't bother applying for asylum, Gpysies" is the gist of it.

Pretty much. There has been (or was) a lucrative industry of refugee welfare abuse. Allegedly those who got the hang of it ferried over big quantities of gypsies, getting a cut of the welfare stuff in return.
Of course the nazis are angry because they don't want them back.

Brazen

I don't know how you can roll up and stay in a European neighbour and go straight onto benefits. Does our anti-immigration press make it look easier than it actually is? I can't imagine turning up in Paris and signing on and expecting a flat paid for. But then I'm obviously ignorant of the system - it took me weeks to get any kind of unemployment benefit, and that was about 5% of what I needed to pay my bills.

Tamas

Quote from: Brazen on January 30, 2013, 05:41:39 AM
I don't know how you can roll up and stay in a European neighbour and go straight onto benefits. Does our anti-immigration press make it look easier than it actually is? I can't imagine turning up in Paris and signing on and expecting a flat paid for. But then I'm obviously ignorant of the system - it took me weeks to get any kind of unemployment benefit, and that was about 5% of what I needed to pay my bills.

There was this big gypsy family in a not too far away town, who literally burned the roof from above themselves in the council-granted house they had (they figured the roof would stay on even if they cut and burned some of its base. They were wrong). For months they were housed in the community center. When they ran that to the ground, the town bought some container houses as an emergency measure until they can be taken care of. This became a huge scandal, as big tantrum was held over the attrocity of moving to such a demeaning housing.
They left for Strassbourg, where they got housing and stuff. Most of them returned however, after realizing the welfare would mostly run out eventually (or they fled from police, IDK). In all fairness, some of the family did remain and established a proper existence via findings jobs.

Syt

I should angle for a job in our Mississauga head office. Then again, I'm not sure I would want to live in Mississauga. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2013, 05:51:17 AM
I should angle for a job in our Mississauga head office. Then again, I'm not sure I would want to live in Mississauga. :unsure:

Good place for videophiles though since http://www.dvdbeaver.com/ comes from there

Brazen

I was doing some census research for this as recalled my home town Enfield had one of highest populations of Poles in the UK, but more recently I've heard less Polish and more Russian, Romanian and Bulgarian. I was somewhat surprised to find that the borough is more than 50% non-white British, until I found out that that includes Greeks, Turks and Cypriots, who run all our restaurants and have been here for two or three generations, and basically characterise north London. They seem pretty white and pretty British to me.

Valmy

For he could have stayed a Russian, a Greek, or Turk, or Romanian but he became an Englishman.  He became an E-e-e-e-e-nglishman.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Syt on January 30, 2013, 05:51:17 AM
you don't.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on January 30, 2013, 08:54:19 AM
I was doing some census research for this as recalled my home town Enfield had one of highest populations of Poles in the UK, but more recently I've heard less Polish and more Russian, Romanian and Bulgarian. I was somewhat surprised to find that the borough is more than 50% non-white British, until I found out that that includes Greeks, Turks and Cypriots, who run all our restaurants and have been here for two or three generations, and basically characterise north London. They seem pretty white and pretty British to me.

[Hortlund]Greeks, Turks and Cypriots are not white.[/Hortlund]

Syt

Can't say I hear much Hungarian here. In my part of town I mostly hear Turkish, Serbian/Croatian, occasionally Chechen, Polish and now and then German.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Austria is not very popular with Poles, I think. It has all the downsides (population that is believed to have negative/contemptous opinion about Poles, as opposed to say, Brits; language barrier) of Germany and none of the apparent benefits (large market and close economic ties).

My guess would be that Polish expats in Austria are mainly the Western European type of expats (i.e. people who moved there to an existing job or are studying there etc.) rather than people who just migrate in search of work.