News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

North Korean executed for eating his children.

Started by jimmy olsen, January 29, 2013, 11:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on January 29, 2013, 09:47:28 PM
Yep....

And get the gamble wrong and you flush another 500+ billion dollars down a hole. Which you might indirectly have to 'borrow' from the Chinese.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on January 29, 2013, 09:52:43 PM
Yep....

And get the gamble wrong and you flush another 500+ billion dollars down a hole. Which you might indirectly have to 'borrow' from the Chinese.

I figured since you just compared Caliga to Hitler you were going somewhere douchey with this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on January 29, 2013, 08:40:05 PM
Though I sometimes wonder if North Korea isn't simply such a defective state that in the event their military stuff wouldn't work.

I wouldn't count on that.  From all appearances they treat their weaponry with more care than they do their soldiers.  Which follows the old East Bloc philosophy.  The East Germans, for example, kept their weapons stored in climate-controlled buildings while their soldiers suffered in shitty living quarters.

Having said that, their weaponry is a generation or two behind the South Koreans and possibly three generations behind ours.  So while it'll probably *work*, it still won't be as effective as that of any Western foe.

But like you said, Seoul residents might not be too keen on any serious shooting.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

I was hoping that new kid might liberalize stuff, since he did live abroad for a while and all, but it seems like he's turning out to be as much of a douche (a Juche douche?  :hmm:) as his old man.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2013, 09:56:37 PM
Yep....

I figured since you just compared Caliga to Hitler you were going somewhere douchey with this.

:blink:

Valmy flying off the handle, again. 

I think you'll find the expression has been used in all sorts of context since and no doubt wasn't wholly original at the time.

And the comparison wasn't between Cal. and Hitler, but about the toppling of what appear to be two unpopular totalitarian regimes.
Something he got as he didn't take offence, unlike you on his behalf. :rolleyes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on January 29, 2013, 10:14:48 PM
I was hoping that new kid might liberalize stuff, since he did live abroad for a while and all, but it seems like he's turning out to be as much of a douche (a Juche douche?  :hmm:) as his old man.

He has made economic reforms that have shown some success.  Looks paltry by our standards but a small step in the right direction.  I don't know how much reform he really wants to do, but I'm sure he knows that the safest bet for him is to take it slow.  I'd like to think the China model would work in North Korea, but it's such a whacked-out place who knows.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on January 29, 2013, 10:18:37 PM
Valmy flying off the handle, again.

Again?  Heh, I am way too sleep deprived these days to get too worked up by anything.

QuoteI think you'll find the expression has been used in all sorts of context since and no doubt wasn't wholly original at the time.

And the comparison wasn't between Cal. and Hitler, but about the toppling of what appear to be two unpopular totalitarian regimes.
Something he got as he didn't take offence, unlike you on his behalf. :rolleyes:

LOL ok martyr boy.  I was more amused than anything else.  I figured you were ready to do some anti-US trashtalking there.  No the comparison was that Hitler was completely wrong which was where you were going with that, it was pretty obvious.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

jimmy olsen

Yep....

We won't be paying for it.

We break it, South Korea fixes it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

While scary in it's own way, it's less impressive then a successful nuclear test.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Camerus

I can't see China agreeing to let their vassal state get raped either.

dps

Quote from: Caliga on January 29, 2013, 09:26:33 PM
A part of me wonders if they could be neutralized with massive air strikes (certainly we'd want to destroy whatever partly-functional nuclear and conventional ballistic capability they have) and the the threat of invasion would cause their military to just collapse or turn on the regime.

I doubt that their military would turn on the regime.

North Korea isn't a large country.  I think we could probably neutralize the conventional artillery that they have trained on Seoul, and their ballistic missle and nuclear armaments as well--provided that we know where all that stuff is.  We probably do know;  I can't see how we wouldn't know where the conventional artillery that's targeting Seoul is located, and I would hope that we have someone tracking their nuclear and missle capacity.  I'm guessing that the biggest drawback is that gathering the resources to take out their offensive capabilities, and building a political coalition that would make doing it realistic, would tip our hand and might cause them to launch a pre-emptive strike.  While I have no doubt that we could easily defeat them in an all-out war, that could do a lot of damage to South Korea.

Valmy

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on January 30, 2013, 01:03:14 AM
I can't see China agreeing to let their vassal state get raped either.

Well that is the real trick.  I wish they would control their vassal state better.