Florida man accused of fraud after taking wife's name

Started by garbon, January 29, 2013, 08:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I don't even have the same last name as my own father, so it wasn't that important to me. Wifey chose to take my name anyway. I chose to take it as a sign of respect. I don't know how I would have felt about it if she didn't want to. I might have been a bit conflicted about it, I dunno.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 30, 2013, 12:53:19 PM
I don't even have the same last name as my own father, so it wasn't that important to me. Wifey chose to take my name anyway. I chose to take it as a sign of respect. I don't know how I would have felt about it if she didn't want to. I might have been a bit conflicted about it, I dunno.

Why? How is it respecting you to take your name?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2013, 12:41:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2013, 08:31:36 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on January 30, 2013, 12:47:10 AM
FWIW, I could never see myself agreeing to take my wife's name.

What if it was a particularly cool last name?

You can't change naming traditions just because it would give you a cool last nae. :mad:

I told my wife it was obviously up to her, but that I would prefer (specially since we wanted kids) if we all had the same family name.

You weird people with only one surname...

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on January 30, 2013, 12:56:28 PM

I don't understand the question. It's not my dad's name, it's only mine. We're not preserving some family legacy or anything. The only reason she had to take it was to have the same name as me. I didn't ask her to, but she did it anyway.

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 30, 2013, 01:02:44 PM

I don't understand the question. It's not my dad's name, it's only mine. We're not preserving some family legacy or anything. The only reason she had to take it was to have the same name as me. I didn't ask her to, but she did it anyway.

Well, you took it as a sign of respect for you. I don't understand how taking your name is respecting you. To me, it's just following tradition. Most people don't think about why they follow tradition, and I wonder if your wife did the same.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on January 30, 2013, 01:05:25 PM
Well, you took it as a sign of respect for you. I don't understand how taking your name is respecting you. To me, it's just following tradition. Most people don't think about why they follow tradition, and I wonder if your wife did the same.

I know that because we discussed it beforehand in this case. She considered why she was doing it.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on January 30, 2013, 12:51:30 PM
I do wonder what you would have done had your wife chosen other than she did.

Well since he told her it was up to her I would hope he would have done nothing.  Otherwise he is a liar and BB, while being a Machiavellian prosecutor eager to send the bulk of Canadians to Gaol, is not capablle of such contemptible dishonesty -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: The Larch on January 30, 2013, 01:00:59 PM

You can't change naming traditions just because it would give you a cool last nae. :mad:

I told my wife it was obviously up to her, but that I would prefer (specially since we wanted kids) if we all had the same family name.

:bleeding:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on January 30, 2013, 12:56:28 PM

UH OH SHE SMELLS SOMETHING
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on January 30, 2013, 01:09:14 PM
Quote from: merithyn on January 30, 2013, 12:51:30 PM
I do wonder what you would have done had your wife chosen other than she did.

Well since he told her it was up to her I would hope he would have done nothing.  Otherwise he is a liar and BB, while being a Machiavellian prosecutor eager to send the bulk of Canadians to Gaol, is not capablle of such contemptible dishonesty -_-

I imagine that he would have tried to convince her otherwise, to be honest. I find it hard to believe that he would be perfectly fine with her having a name other than his.

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 30, 2013, 01:08:57 PM

I know that because we discussed it beforehand in this case. She considered why she was doing it.

Okay. Seems fair. :)

The Larch

Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2013, 01:10:07 PM
Quote from: The Larch on January 30, 2013, 01:00:59 PM

:bleeding:

Any problem with Spanish namings customs? :P

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Valmy

Last names of Mexicans leads me to believe a huge proportion of the Mexican nation are descended from a very fertile guy named Martin.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."