Florida man accused of fraud after taking wife's name

Started by garbon, January 29, 2013, 08:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Wait, there are states in the US that only let the wife to take the husband's name automatically, but not vice versa?

Hell, even Poland allows it (and I know several people who went this way), and we are backward as shit.

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on January 29, 2013, 09:50:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2013, 09:44:31 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 29, 2013, 09:12:45 AM
If marriage was illegal, none of this crap would be an issue.

Actually it would. Then his only recourse would be:

QuoteBut when he called the state DMV office in Tallahassee he said he was told he had to go to court first in order to change his name legally, a process that takes several months and has a $400 filing fee.

That's a pretty ridiculous filing fee. I changed my name for less than $100, and that includes the newspaper ad.

Attention whore.

Martinus

Incidentally, nothing beats e-mails like this, we get occassionally in our office:

To: Entire office

I would like to let you know that following my marriage, my name is now Kathy Kowalski.

Regards,

Kathy

:frusty:

Admiral Yi

merithyn

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 29, 2013, 10:11:33 AM
Quote from: merithyn on January 29, 2013, 09:50:23 AM

That's a pretty ridiculous filing fee. I changed my name for less than $100, and that includes the newspaper ad.

:wacko:

It's a requirement for name change. :contract:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2013, 11:23:40 AM
Kathy doesn't sound like a Polack name.
I think he's translating from some weird Polish name like Kata12tasd'81y98hnthy
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 29, 2013, 11:32:14 AM

That, or it could be an American name ripped off from a US TV show.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2013, 11:34:37 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 29, 2013, 11:32:14 AM

That, or it could be an American name ripped off from a US TV show.

Probably Baywatch or something. They like that kind of crap over there.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

I think I previously mentioned the Ostie kid who was living as an exchange student at one of my cousin's house.  His parents had named him after a Miami Vice character. Rico? Something like that. :bleeding:

dps

Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2013, 10:57:40 AM
Quote from: Maladict on January 29, 2013, 10:54:15 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2013, 10:38:47 AM
Quote from: Maladict on January 29, 2013, 10:33:04 AM
How does that 'perpetuate their family surname'? You need to give the kids her surname, not the husband.

Well definitely would make it easier for managing family. Bit more problematic if the father had a different lastname from his kids.

Really? It's pretty common here, I've never heard of it being a problem.

I've heard anecdotes of it causing problems - identification-wise as people might be more skeptical that a person is someone's parent without the same last name.

People who didn't know my stepfather often call my mom "Mrs. Stokes", and occasionally someone who knows my mom but doesn't know me well will call me "Mr. Ward".  I don't recall it ever actually being a problem per se, but I can imagine situations in which it could be.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 29, 2013, 11:18:04 AM
Incidentally, nothing beats e-mails like this, we get occassionally in our office:

I would like to let you know that following my marriage, my name is now Kathy Kowalski.

Regards,

Kathy

What exactly is so horrible and outrageous about that?  Granted maybe emailing the entire office is not necessary but that sounds like important information to know. :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 29, 2013, 11:15:25 AM
Wait, there are states in the US that only let the wife to take the husband's name automatically, but not vice versa?

Hell, even Poland allows it (and I know several people who went this way), and we are backward as shit.

Well sure imagine if each region of Poland had a different policy on this?  I am sure there would be some parts that would swing that way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on January 29, 2013, 12:37:09 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 29, 2013, 11:18:04 AM

Regards,

Kathy

What exactly is so horrible and outrageous about that?  Granted maybe emailing the entire office is not necessary but that sounds like important information to know. :hmm:
My guess is that the absence of the previous last name is the punch line.

DGuller

Having to change your last name due to marriage seems kind of weird to me, and a bit of a sexist artifact.  My mother never changed hers, and my paternal grandmother stopped changing hers sometime before her fourth and last marriage.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2013, 12:45:39 PM
My guess is that the absence of the previous last name is the punch line.

Hah ok I get it now :blush: