News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cultural problems in getting hired

Started by Martim Silva, January 28, 2013, 08:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martim Silva

Okay, let me explain the case:

For some bizarre reason, since the turn of the year a tech company has become convinced that I'm their CEO (I'm not, but somehow that doesn't seem to be relevant to them).

As a result, I now have unrestricted access to all their data, as well as a big say in their decisions. I've informed our PR unit to tell them they got the wrong guy, but so far to no avail.

(I suspect that our PR director is amused at the situation. And to be honest so am I, especially because we DO have deals with this company and I'm now in a position to know what they're up to. For example, I now know they've been pocketing all the revenues from OUR net apps, especially because all the staff at their mobile division quit).

Anyway, back to the main point: they've recently been trying to fix their staff problems, and I now have the list of the applicants, as well as who has been interviewd and who hasn't (the VP expects all preliminary interviews to be done by Wednesday, and wants me to OK the hiring of the head of the unit. They're also asking me to confirm who is to be hired and their wages).

One of the candidates that has picked my attention is one the lesser managers are now recommending NOT to be hired. According to their report, after the first interview, even though he is experienced and skilled with PHP and Flash, he "does not seem to fit the profile", because "he showed some arrogance" and "is somewhat weird" (Sic).

Checking his CV, I see the guy in question is called 'Prakash Dungana' and is a brahmin. I can see what happened: in India, due to high competiton, people often tend to brag and overstate their capabilities, in order to stand out of the crowd.

Over here, that is synonimous with "arrogance" and falls rather badly with managers.

In addition, from his photo I he has red spots on him (denoting his caste). Needless to say, for westerners to see someone like that makes them rather... uncomfortable.

So, what would for an Indian be an ideal presentation and interview turned out to be a big no-no for hiring.

The end result is that companies then get accused of racism. The actual reason is more one of cultural incompatibility (I suspect he's not even aware of what he did wrong).

Have you found similar cases in companies you know of/work/worked in?

Tamas

you are either full of BS or Portugal is doomed

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on January 28, 2013, 09:12:15 AM
you are either full of BS or Portugal is doomed

Not really sure why this is either/or.

Tamas

Duque de Bragança

Usually, people from India don't get a bad rep in Portugal, unless one includes the Gypsies...

alfred russel

Maybe the guy was arrogant and weird though. That was the opinion of the people that talked to him, who brought him in presumably after seeing his CV and picture.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

I don't know. I'm white & I've never been in a position where I hired people.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

It is impossible that a computer programmer could have problems in the business world due to poor social skills so this must be a cultural problem.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Arrogance is not a trait I associate with Indians in general.

Sheilbh

Biggest cultural problem is Euros putting photos of themselves on their CVs. Weird <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2013, 09:46:02 AM

But with plenty of software engineers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2013, 09:46:02 AM

they are more the kindly backstabbing kind.

Admiral Yi

Must be a different animal in geekworld.  Most Indians I've met have been caricatures of nerdy, social misfit smart guys.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2013, 10:19:24 AM
Must be a different animal in geekworld.  Most Indians I've met have been caricatures of nerdy, social misfit smart guys.

And that differs from most computer programmers how?  They are certainly arrogant when it comes to the things they are experts in.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on January 28, 2013, 10:22:54 AM
And that differs from most computer programmers how?  They are certainly arrogant when it comes to the things they are experts in.

OK.  In my experience with non programmers nerds tend to be more self-effacing.