Britain's Economy Is a Disaster and Nobody Is Entirely Sure Why

Started by jimmy olsen, January 28, 2013, 08:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 28, 2013, 04:22:38 PM
I have no idea who he is.  What is the problem with him?

Sounds like anti-EUness.  I just liked what he had to say on this particular issue.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

He's a Tory MEP and blogger for the Telegraph's blogs (as Private Eye described them 'sheltered housing for the incurably insane'). He makes a very good argument - he's very Oxford union - but basically he's a bit mad, and EU-obsessed, politically.

He'd be on the far-right of the Republican party on most issues. But it's like if you gave Michele Bachmann his accent and style of education she'd probably sound relatively convincing :P
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 28, 2013, 04:29:33 PM
He's a Tory MEP and blogger for the Telegraph's blogs (as Private Eye described them 'sheltered housing for the incurably insane'). He makes a very good argument - he's very Oxford union - but basically he's a bit mad, and EU-obsessed, politically.

He'd be on the far-right of the Republican party on most issues. But it's like if you gave Michele Bachmann his accent and style of education she'd probably sound relatively convincing :P

He was also one of the leaders of the campaign to withdraw the Tories from the European People's Party group in the EU parliament, afterwards joining the bunch of luminaries they share a group with now.

Sheilbh

Yeah he was very vocal on that. In fairness David Cameron had promised that during his leadership campaign. Dan Hannan was just very strong in defending his lovely new colleagues :lol:

Edit: Is he known at all in Spain? I think he's fluent in Spanish and sometimes gives Spanish speeches in the EP.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

He and Nigel Farage are the favorites of some Paradox OT posters who love to post their speeches in the EP or at other places.

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 28, 2013, 04:54:59 PM
Edit: Is he known at all in Spain? I think he's fluent in Spanish and sometimes gives Spanish speeches in the EP.

I'd be very surprised if most Spaniards could name any British politician other than Blair and maybe Cameron. Places like [Spanish] EUOT are an exception, of course, and Farage and especially Johnson have quite a few fans.

Plus our political culture revolves around parties, not people. Politicians are defined not by their opinions, personality or eloquence, but their relationship with power. So MPs are irrelevant, no matter how eloquent. There are no Farages, Johnsons or Hannans here.

The Larch

Yeah he was very vocal on that. In fairness David Cameron had promised that during his leadership campaign. Dan Hannan was just very strong in defending his lovely new colleagues :lol:

He was born in PerĂº and was raised between there and Bolivia, as his family were big landowners. Then he was sent to boarding school in Britain. All that family background is like 50 years behind the times.

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on January 28, 2013, 05:10:47 PM

I'd be very surprised if most Spaniards could name any British politician other than Blair and maybe Cameron. Places like [Spanish] EUOT are an exception, of course, and Farage and especially Johnson have quite a few fans.

Plus our political culture revolves around parties, not people. Politicians are defined not by their opinions, personality or eloquence, but their relationship with power. So MPs are irrelevant, no matter how eloquent. There are no Farages, Johnsons or Hannans here.

Yeah, our colourful politicians are of a very different brand.

Admiral Yi

Is the British tradition of formal debate common throughout the continent, or peculiar to the UK?

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2013, 05:14:50 PM
Is the British tradition of formal debate common throughout the continent, or peculiar to the UK?

Only British, AFAIK. Our politicians don't debate, they harass each other.

Iormlund

I don't know about the rest of Europe, but there's no debate culture here at all.

Most of our politicians are pros, in the sense that they've never had a real job. They join the party in their teens or early twenties and the only measure of success is how well you play the party game. It's no surprise then how inept they are at administering the country once they are in power.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 28, 2013, 04:29:33 PM
But it's like if you gave Michele Bachmann his accent and style of education she'd probably sound relatively convincing :P

Now there's a kick in the nuts you don't see every day.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 28, 2013, 04:12:25 PM
Quote from: citizen k on January 28, 2013, 03:33:57 PM

Daniel Hannan Destroys The 3 Unquestionable Myths Of Our Crisis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7ZpJeHN0_gw

So glad they still make Englishmen like that guy.

Would've been nice to see Cornel West walk up and give him the business end of a toothbrush-and-spoon prison shiv, though.

The Larch

Just watched the Hannan video. The leaps of logic he undertakes at the end are cringe worthy. If somebody used that argument over here they'd be shot down so fast that you wouldn't be able to rescue the wreckage.