Britain's Economy Is a Disaster and Nobody Is Entirely Sure Why

Started by jimmy olsen, January 28, 2013, 08:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on January 28, 2013, 02:04:20 PM
This truly seems bizarre, to have so few lending institutions. How could things have gotten to that point?
I think, though I could be wrong, that our retail banking sector has always been pretty oligopolistic. I don't know why.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I don't think it was oligopolistic during the Napoleonic Wars.

Were banks nationalized during your bout of post-war lunacy?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2013, 02:33:07 PM

Were banks nationalized during your bout of post-war lunacy?
Ignorant :P

No. They nationalised the Bank of England. But aside from that the Labour government generally wasn't that interested in banking or finance. They tended to intervene to stop mergers and takeovers but that was about it.

QuoteI don't think it was oligopolistic during the Napoleonic Wars.
Looking at a BofE paper, from what I can see in the late 60s there were 6 banks (but lots of building societies). Of the 16 clearing banks around in 1960 though, 15 are now owned by 4 banks. The City before Thatcherism was very un-meritocratic, not very efficient and not really to be admired, I think nostalgia about it should be avoided.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

That's still awfully few for such a big economy.

Maybe it's simply a holdover from the good old mercantilistic state monopoly days of the 19th century.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 28, 2013, 02:48:19 PM

Looking at a BofE paper, from what I can see in the late 60s there were 6 banks (but lots of building societies). Of the 16 clearing banks around in 1960 though, 15 are now owned by 4 banks. The City before Thatcherism was very un-meritocratic, not very efficient and not really to be admired, I think nostalgia about it should be avoided.

As opposed to now ?  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

It's meritocratic and relatively efficient and competitive, at what it does.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 28, 2013, 03:03:37 PM
It's meritocratic and relatively efficient and competitive, at what it does.

Define efficient in this context ?

Though I've got to give it you dealing those Mexican Narco dollars stole a march on many competitors.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

:lol:

I've not watched it. I read his blog occasionally, mainly for the insight into the EU-obsessed wing of the Tories. He's a very good Oxford union debater. He'd even write a mean column for the Economist.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

It was arguably the oligarchic banks in England that made it the preeminent power of the age in the 17th and 18th centuries. Maybe they just didn't want to change what had worked for so long.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers