News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pentagon to allow women in combat

Started by Kleves, January 23, 2013, 04:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Brazen on January 23, 2013, 05:38:42 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2013, 05:26:12 PM
To answer your and Josephus' question, my understanding is a while ago they first allowed women into certain jobs that exposed them to combat, like attack helicopter pilot.  Now they're letting them (AFAICT) into rifle platoons.  The folks who run around the battlefield in body armor and shoot at bad guys full time.

If my understanding is correct, then it very much raises the issue of physical standards.
:yes: Direct combat units, or ground combat.

Keep shaking that head when your 15 miles into a 25 mile force march, toting a 240 and a rucksack. Darling.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

I couldn't possibly do that. I guess we should keep males out of the army.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2013, 06:01:56 PM

and gays, but dont worry about it Nancy.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 23, 2013, 05:59:33 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 23, 2013, 05:23:50 PM
Quote from: Kleves on January 23, 2013, 05:04:00 PM

Oh.

Kleeves, you know she's not what you think she is.  :bowler:

If she's not a cop, what is she? A stripper?

She's a community support officer, hence the blue epeletts, they have very limited powers compare to a copper, indeed they're little more than a 'civilian' in uniform, in most instance I could make an arrest just as well as they could.

That's not to say they don't serve a useful purpose and the ones I've encountered have been fine.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

I could have done all of that stuff in my youth, but I'd still have been as useless in the Army as you would have been with regards to your dislike of the physical exercise.   :)

If a specific 'type' of women can perform physically or psychologically, then why not ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Eh, you might be able to.  A 240 is a gun not the weight.  It's a big gun, but that's why you do that those hikes, so you get used to carrying that stuff.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

As was mentioned, this isn't a very big change since they've already been in "combat" doing logistics and stuff. Wake me when women have to register for the draft.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 23, 2013, 06:30:50 PM
As was mentioned, this isn't a very big change since they've already been in "combat" doing logistics and stuff. Wake me when women have to register for the draft.

Rostker vs. Goldberg.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostker_v._Goldberg

The majority opinion stated:
"[t]he existence of the combat restrictions clearly indicates the basis for Congress' decision to exempt women from registration. The purpose of registration was to prepare for a draft of combat troops. Since women are excluded from combat, Congress concluded that they would not be needed in the event of a draft, and therefore decided not to register them."
So, now that this is no longer the case, this will probably lead to another lawsuit against the draft.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Just saw on NBC that women will have to volunteer and physical standards won't change.

That's as planned now, who knows what will change over time.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 23, 2013, 06:38:35 PM

Rostker vs. Goldberg.

"[t]he existence of the combat restrictions clearly indicates the basis for Congress' decision to exempt women from registration. The purpose of registration was to prepare for a draft of combat troops. Since women are excluded from combat, Congress concluded that they would not be needed in the event of a draft, and therefore decided not to register them."
So, now that this is no longer the case, this will probably lead to another lawsuit against the draft.

Which draft?

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on January 23, 2013, 07:12:26 PM

Rostker vs. Goldberg.

Which draft?

NFL.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

sbr

Quote from: Razgovory on January 23, 2013, 07:38:10 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 23, 2013, 07:12:26 PM

Rostker vs. Goldberg.

Which draft?

NFL.

Chicks can be drafted as long as they have been out of high school for 3 years.