News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pentagon to allow women in combat

Started by Kleves, January 23, 2013, 04:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

For some reason I thought they already were.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2013, 04:45:41 PM
Oh, I think I understand now.  At present women have a lower physical fitness threshold than men do in the army?

Yup.

Brazen

The US Army physical fitness test already has different requirements by age and gender. They trialled a new test in 2011 designed to better mimic the requirements of modern combat, but they decided it was no better an indicator of physical readiness and kept the old-style test.

http://www.army.mil/standto/archive/issue.php?issue=2012-09-18

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on January 23, 2013, 04:46:19 PM
For some reason I thought they already were.

Nope.  But given the situation in places like Iraq, with no set "front line", women have frequently been in combat in the last decade.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Brazen

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2013, 04:50:10 PM
Nope.  But given the situation in places like Iraq, with no set "front line", women have frequently been in combat in the last decade.
I believe the riskiest job currently undertaken by women soldiers is logistics, or I seem to remember that's where most deaths have occurred. Driving lorries full of gear across IED-riddled enemy territory ain't safe.

Kleves

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2013, 04:13:49 PM
Then either they have to have a higher physical standard for women in combat units or they have to drop the standard for men.
I guess I just assumed they would raise the standards for women and create a uniform standard. They wouldn't be dumb enough to lower standards for everyone just to allow women in, would they?

Oh.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Brazen

Thames Valley Police are hardly known for their combat roles. Except maybe pub kicking-out time in Maidenhead.

merithyn

If women have already been in de facto combat for the past 10 years, why would there have to be any kind of change to the physical requirements?

Hasn't the government policy just finally caught up with the reality of the situation?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Kleves

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2013, 05:15:44 PM
I'd hit it.
You know, I looked for "police woman" in google, and most of the pictures were of cute British cops. Is this what happens when you ban guns?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

mongers

Quote from: Kleves on January 23, 2013, 05:04:00 PM

Oh.

Kleeves, you know she's not what you think she is.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on January 23, 2013, 05:17:40 PM
If women have already been in de facto combat for the past 10 years, why would there have to be any kind of change to the physical requirements?

Hasn't the government policy just finally caught up with the reality of the situation?

To answer your and Josephus' question, my understanding is a while ago they first allowed women into certain jobs that exposed them to combat, like attack helicopter pilot.  Now they're letting them (AFAICT) into rifle platoons.  The folks who run around the battlefield in body armor and shoot at bad guys full time.

If my understanding is correct, then it very much raises the issue of physical standards.

Brazen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2013, 05:26:12 PM
To answer your and Josephus' question, my understanding is a while ago they first allowed women into certain jobs that exposed them to combat, like attack helicopter pilot.  Now they're letting them (AFAICT) into rifle platoons.  The folks who run around the battlefield in body armor and shoot at bad guys full time.

If my understanding is correct, then it very much raises the issue of physical standards.
:yes: Direct combat units, or ground combat.

This article answers some of the queries
http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/23/military-to-open-combat-jobs-to-women/?hpt=hp_c1

QuoteBut the officials caution that "not every position will open all at once on Thursday." Once the policy is changed, the Department of Defense will enter what is being called an "assessment phase," in which each branch of service will examine all of its jobs and units not currently integrated and then produce a timetable in which it can integrate them.

QuoteThe Army and Marine Corps, especially, will be examining physical standards and gender-neutral accommodations within combat units. Every 90 days, the service chiefs will have to report back on their progress.

Quote"It will take awhile to work out the mechanics in some cases. We expect some jobs to open quickly, by the end of this year. Others, like Special Operations Forces and Infantry, may take longer," a senior defense official explains.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

Quote from: Kleves on January 23, 2013, 05:19:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2013, 05:15:44 PM
I'd hit it.
You know, I looked for "police woman" in google, and most of the pictures were of cute British cops. Is this what happens when you ban guns?

What were you trying to prove with this?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017