News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pentagon to allow women in combat

Started by Kleves, January 23, 2013, 04:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

QuoteOutgoing Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta has decided to allow women to serve in combat roles, a watershed policy shift that follows years of calls for a fully inclusive military.

Panetta and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, are expected to formally announce the change on Thursday, Pentagon officials said. The Army, Marines and other services will then develop plans to open jobs in ground combat units, such as the infantry, to women.

The decision comes after a decade during which women have been pushed closer to the front lines than ever before. Panetta, who is expected to step down in coming days, has long said the Pentagon is exploring ways to open more career opportunities for women.

Female veteran groups say that even though the number of women who would pursue combat jobs might be small, having the option is a long overdue step that would bring the United States in line with several of its allies.

Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), the chairman of the Armed Services Committee, issued a statement endorsing the move.

"I support it," Levin said. "It reflects the reality of 21st century military operations."
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Brazen

Just read that and got a sinking feeling about my opinion piece tomorrow  :lol:

A company's sending me body armour to trial this week (we didn't tell them we don't do that) so I'll pose in it to illustrate the story. Or just pretend I'm a Colonial Marine out of Aliens.

Admiral Yi

Then either they have to have a higher physical standard for women in combat units or they have to drop the standard for men.

Brazen: I'll give you 25 fake quatloos if you pose in the armor + a red bandana tied around your head.

Razgovory

What kind of trial would you do with a body armor?  Would you wear it and the editor just shoot at you for a bit?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Brazen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2013, 04:13:49 PM
Brazen: I'll give you 25 fake quatloos if you pose in the armor + a red bandana tied around your head.
I so intend to  :D

Brazen

Quote from: Razgovory on January 23, 2013, 04:14:50 PM
What kind of trial would you do with a body armor?  Would you wear it and the editor just shoot at you for a bit?
I AM the editor, I get to shoot first.

I dunno, see if the colour goes with this season's accessories?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Brazen on January 23, 2013, 04:17:21 PM
I dunno, see if the colour goes with this season's accessories?

Aren't those required via an 85-page document to be the same color down to the subatomic level anyway?

derspiess

Great.

Then either they have to have a higher physical standard for women in combat units or they have to drop the standard for men.

No, they'll just lessen the standards.  Like they did for airborne school :rolleyes:

Women certainly do have a place in the Army: secretaries & nurses. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Barrister

Why do they have to do either?

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on January 23, 2013, 04:23:27 PM
Great.

No, they'll just lessen the standards. rolleyes:

Yes. Ho-hum. More pregos too.

"Hey First sergeant they have another one knocked up in 2nd Platoon."  :rolleyes:

a prego female infantry platoon sergeant or 1st sergeant. I shudder at the thought. Useless.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

I see the troglodytes have already swarmed out of the woodwork.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2013, 04:37:04 PM

Brazen has to wear the bandana because it looks really badass.  ROCK AND ROLL!  buddabuddabuddabudda  :P

Either the physical requirements are necessary to perform the job or they're not.  If they're not, there's no reason to make the men pass them.

It would be discriminatory. :nerd:

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on January 23, 2013, 04:37:26 PM
Yes. Ho-hum. More pregos too.

"Hey First sergeant they have another one knocked up in 2nd Platoon."  :rolleyes:

a prego female infantry platoon sergeant or 1st sergeant. I shudder at the thought. Useless.

I gotta say though I bet it's nice to have the option of getting knocked up to avoid deployment. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 23, 2013, 04:42:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2013, 04:37:04 PM

Brazen has to wear the bandana because it looks really badass.  ROCK AND ROLL!  buddabuddabuddabudda  :P

Either the physical requirements are necessary to perform the job or they're not.  If they're not, there's no reason to make the men pass them.

It would be discriminatory. :nerd:

Oh, I think I understand now.  At present women have a lower physical fitness threshold than men do in the army?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.