News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Elder Scrolls Online

Started by Syt, January 22, 2013, 01:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Played some. Major meh with a dash of wtf. And they plan to launch in April? Jesus.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

garbon

I don't see anything particularly wrong with it apart from thinking that people will want to pay for it with the scheme they set up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2014, 10:27:34 AM
I don't see anything particularly wrong with it apart from thinking that people will want to pay for it with the scheme they set up.

That, in and of itself, can break a studio.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have most of their credibility riding on an overly optimistic revenue projection.
Experience bij!

crazy canuck

I played for a couple hours this morning and got up to finishing the quest cycle in the opening island area.

First impressions:

First the good
- I didnt think I would like how they do skill progression etc but I actually quite like it.  There are some real decisions that need to be made and the limited skill slots make those decisions even more important.
- The graphics are good as one would expect from this developer.
- The gameplay is very smooth, especially compared to other MMOs at this stage in development.

Now the bad

- The world feels really empty except for all the other players running around.
- At least in the starting area you are led around by the nose.  It has the feel of a lot of running from quest location to quest location without much need or purpose to exploring.
- I really wish there was a mini map

General impression - for people that like Skyrim this will a good game to play.  But why would they pay to play this when they can play Skyrim for free?  I wont be getting it.  It has all the makings of a time sink to ensure people keep paying their monthly subscription.  Which is a shame because I liked the skill model. 

Razgovory

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 16, 2014, 09:51:06 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 15, 2014, 07:25:15 PM
People have too much time on their hands. Many of those labels obscure more than they inform.

Two-spirit? :bleeding:

A term I cam across when I found out the academic term of "Berdache" was no longer acceptable.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Beenherebefore

Didn't like it at all. And lord knows I wanted to.

I love the Elder Scrolls games, but this wasn't for me.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 11, 2014, 06:02:06 AM

Elaborate, please.

Beenherebefore

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 11, 2014, 06:09:52 AM
Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 11, 2014, 06:02:06 AM

Elaborate, please.

Okay.

One: It didn't really feel like the Elder Scrolls games for me. If Skyrim was simplified compared to Morrowind and Oblivion, ESO felt just generic and off-brand. The lore felt a bit off. Three classes... well, okay. I don't really care that much about classes.

The bottom line is that I personally didn't feel the old Elder Scrolls excitement about exploring, combat and levelling up completely wrong until I realise it's too late to salvage anything from that character.

Or perhaps, in short, it ain't Skyrim, man.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I seem to be reading a lot of negative reviews regarding the whole "It's not Skyrim" thing, which is pretty disconcerting, what with it not being Skyrim and all.

Beenherebefore

Then again, it's a beta. It could improve massively for all I know.

Alcibiades

Any of you who bought it have an extra beta key by chance?  Apparently they've been mailing them out.

Edit:  nm, got one.  Maybe someone else here is interested, though.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Grey Fox

I have a key I am not interested into using if anyone wants to try it. You'll get it's +1 too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

sbr

Grey Fox

Quote from: sbr on March 15, 2014, 06:45:17 PM
I would be

or not, sorry mate. Looks like I deleted that email.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.