Japan Threatens To Fire On Chinese Fighters, China: There Will Be No Second Shot

Started by jimmy olsen, January 22, 2013, 08:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 10:20:33 AM
come now, i've realized the futility of arguing this issue with you given the past debate, and acknowledge no mutual consensus will be reached, and you respond with "hehe, i win," - that's not very sportsmanlike!

I read that as a "lalala I'm not listening".

If it was intended to be an "let's agree to disagree" then that is my mistake and I apologize.

LaCroix

Quote from: Maximus on February 07, 2013, 10:39:02 AMI read that as a "lalala I'm not listening".

If it was intended to be an "let's agree to disagree" then that is my mistake and I apologize.

np

Josquius

The islands had nothing to do with the Sino-Japanese war. In the 19th century not every bit of land was claimed by a country the way things are today (Antarctica semi-excluded), there were lots of islands that belonged to no one.
Hell, throughout most of its history China barely even bothered with Taiwan let alone the Senkakus. The claims you see of them being Chinese territory down to 17th century sources and all that are just a mixture of nonsense and ignoring the historic Chinese worldview.

But even ignoring all this....they're legally Japanese anyway. The WW2 peace treaty spoke of "such minor islands as we determine", and the US occupied the Senkakus as part of Okinawa so clearly they were included in the determined small islands. Even if we pretend they once were Chinese they clearly haven't been for over a century and are legally Japanese.
██████
██████
██████

LaCroix

Quote from: Tyr on February 07, 2013, 11:04:32 AM
The islands had nothing to do with the Sino-Japanese war. In the 19th century not every bit of land was claimed by a country the way things are today (Antarctica semi-excluded), there were lots of islands that belonged to no one.
Hell, throughout most of its history China barely even bothered with Taiwan let alone the Senkakus. The claims you see of them being Chinese territory down to 17th century sources and all that are just a mixture of nonsense and ignoring the historic Chinese worldview.

But even ignoring all this....they're legally Japanese anyway. The WW2 peace treaty spoke of "such minor islands as we determine", and the US occupied the Senkakus as part of Okinawa so clearly they weren't included in the determined small islands. Even if we pretend they once were Chinese they clearly haven't been for over a century and are legally Japanese.

i'll take that you didn't bother to read the link i posted, nor other research on the issue... taiwan, a province china "barely bothered with," indeed.

the treaty of frankfurt did not decide the issue of alsace-lorraine, and such has not decided the senkaku isles. sometimes, a Power must learn to let go. especially islands that are not worth... apparently anything

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 11:12:22 AM
sometimes, a Power must learn to let go. especially islands that are not worth... apparently anything

Exactly, China needs to... let...go.

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 10:20:33 AM
might does not make right, i guess

Man China is going to have to give back alot of its territory then.  I think they should just go with the might makes right thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 09:41:55 AMi am not as worldly as you, tyr,
I don't care how many countries he's lived in, calling him worldly is a crime against the English language.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Phillip V

Russian Jets Enter Japanese Airspace

'Japan said Russian fighter jets intruded on its airspace for the first time in five years, raising tensions between the two countries as Tokyo is engaged in a similar tangle with China.'

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324590904578289590050103704.html

Neil

The Senkakus are worth something:  The lives of every man, woman and child in China.  Should the Chinese make a move, it is essential to kill at least 99% of them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on February 07, 2013, 08:09:09 PM
The Senkakus are worth something:  The lives of every man, woman and child in China.  Should the Chinese make a move, it is essential to kill at least 99% of them.
I'm pretty sure even a full strength nuclear first strike wouldn't kill that many.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: Phillip V on February 07, 2013, 07:07:12 PM
Russian Jets Enter Japanese Airspace

'Japan said Russian fighter jets intruded on its airspace for the first time in five years, raising tensions between the two countries as Tokyo is engaged in a similar tangle with China.'

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324590904578289590050103704.html

So did Russian jets actually enter Japanese airspace or were they just around the occupied islands? The article is vague on which. I very much doubt the Japanese military went into Russian territory however as China is prone to doing in its dispute.
██████
██████
██████

Kleves

You know what would be nice? A big war between China and Russia - both of the great enemies of humanity killing each other off.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.