And we're back!

Main Menu

50 years of Franco-German friendship

Started by Syt, January 22, 2013, 07:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21136315

QuoteFrance and Germany mark Elysee pact's 50th anniversary

France and Germany are marking the 50th anniversary of a treaty that helped to reconcile the two former foes.

The German and French leaders have been holding talks in Berlin and there will also be a joint session of the two countries' parliaments.

The Elysee Treaty was signed by Charles de Gaulle of France and Germany's Konrad Adenauer on 22 January 1963.

Despite ups and downs in the relationship, Berlin and Paris have been key shapers of the European Union.

De Gaulle described Europe as "a coach and horses, with Germany the horse and France the coachman", and the co-operation between the two nations has been the foundation stone of the European project, the BBC's Europe editor Gavin Hewitt says.

Reception

German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Francois Hollande met figures from the arts world at the French embassy in Berlin on Tuesday.

Wim Wenders, the German film director, recalled his links to France: "I am a child of this friendship even if it was more exciting when I was young.

"My first car was a [Citroen] 2CV and I studied in Paris."

Today, the 67-year-old added, "there is a certain indifference but that doesn't surprise me after 50 years of marriage".

Mrs Merkel said earlier that she felt "a very great closeness" with Germany's neighbour. "When we have come together, then mostly a good new solution has come out of it," she added.

To celebrate what has been described as a festival of friendship, France and Germany are issuing stamps, coins and other items of memorabilia.

French flags will be flying beside those of Germany in Berlin.

Later on Tuesday, more than 500 French lawmakers will travel to the German capital for the session with the Bundestag.

There will also be a joint cabinet dinner and a concert.
Differences

However, the two countries remain at odds on several issues, including how to deal with the eurozone crisis.

President Hollande - who is pushing for fresh spending to bolster growth - believes that the Germans are wrong to place such emphasis on austerity and cutting deficits.

On Mr Hollande's side there is also still bitterness that Chancellor Merkel backed Nicolas Sarkozy so openly during last year's French presidential elections, our editor says.

The ongoing crisis in Mali is also likely to test the two countries' relationship.

While Paris has deployed troops in the west African nation to halt the advance of Islamist insurgents, Berlin has been reluctant to be drawn deeply into the conflict.

Quote50 years of friendship

- The 1963 Elysee Treaty was a milestone for France and Germany, who had fought three bloody wars in 70 years
    - The two became the "motor" behind EU integration and enlargement
    - Diplomatically, they stood together in opposition to the Iraq invasion of 2003
    - Since the creation of the Franco-German Brigade, a battalion of German troops has been based in Illkirch in eastern France
    - The two have recently differed over French foreign policy, such as intervention in Mali, and the austerity/growth debate inside the eurozone

It's the first time the German parliament hosts a joint session with a full foreign parliament.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2013, 07:01:51 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21136315
Quote50 years of friendship

- The 1963 Elysee Treaty was a milestone for France and Germany, who had fought three bloody wars in 70 years
    - The two became the "motor" behind EU integration and enlargement
    - Diplomatically, they stood together in opposition to the Iraq invasion of 2003
    - Since the creation of the Franco-German Brigade, a battalion of German troops has been based in Illkirch in eastern France
    - The two have recently differed over French foreign policy, such as intervention in Mali, and the austerity/growth debate inside the eurozone

It's the first time the German parliament hosts a joint session with a full foreign parliament.

Illkirch is nearby Straßburg for those interested.
:nerd:

Full French parliament? Probably the first time in a long while as well for the Assemblée Nationale  :frog: :smarty:

CountDeMoney

Good for you guys.  Might as well celebrate; took you knuckleheads long enough to get along.

Neil

Yeah, France definitely leads the way.  At the same time, Germany is better at absolutely everything than France, except for moderation.  That's why France has to lead the Continent.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Germany is just waiting for the right moment once France has completely and utterly let her guard down. :menace:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on January 22, 2013, 08:24:16 PM
Germany is just waiting for the right moment once France has completely and utterly let her guard down. :menace:

My french investments.  :cry:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Seriously, how badass would it be to see Merkel blizting across Europe? :)

Ed Anger

Go east Frau. Polacks would welcome your jackboots across thier face.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 22, 2013, 08:34:05 PM
Go east Frau. Polacks would welcome your jackboots across thier face.
Germany has civil unions, right?  If so at least one Polack would welcome his German conquerors with open... arms. :cool:

Crazy_Ivan80

time to undo a 1000 years of French agression against the HRE.

Valmy

Their act at being head weanies is certainly convincing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

De Gaulle described Europe as "a coach and horses, with Germany the horse and France the coachman",

"Anyone wanna switch jobs for a bit?"  :lol:

Phillip V

How many Franco-German children been birthed the past 50 years.

Zoupa

None. One drop rule: they're all german.